The owning a dog is exausting factor

Old May 21st 04, 12:21 PM
Paul B

Default The owning a dog is exausting factor

Dogs are hard work, if your dogs arn't then you ain't looking after them
properly!!! My dogs are good dogs, they are extremely exuburant, 5 & 6 but
they are have as much energy as I can remember. I love the dogs, I love the
challenges they set before me, where we get to challenge each others wits,
training!!! Learning how to out wit a dog is exhausting, it's hard work,
and keeping up out witting the dogs is just as tiring, I'm an engineer by
trade, logic and that sort of thing, so I love the abstract thinking that
comes with dog training, I some times find myself thinking about dog
training when at work but never work when I'm out with the dogs!!!

Paul

Old May 21st 04, 01:48 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Paul B" wrote in message

Learning how to out wit a dog is exhausting, it's hard work,
and keeping up out witting the dogs is just as tiring, I'm an engineer by
trade, logic and that sort of thing, so I love the abstract thinking that
comes with dog training, I some times find myself thinking about dog
training when at work but never work when I'm out with the dogs!!!

laugh Perfect! I am in the same boat. I don't think I have ever mulled
over work when I'm out training/playing/whatever with the dogs. But,
I do think of the dogs all the time at work.

There is a new trainee at work, and she came to work with me yesterday
for a bit, just to learn about my job & what I do. A friend came by, and I
was apologizing for not being able to help her on a particular weekend
event (we are both on the "safety committee" together) due to trial entries.

The trainee perks up, and asks me, "Trials? What sort of trials??" So I
give her the "brief and not too boring" intro to my dog involvement. She
begins gushing over her own dog, and their agility & flyball involvement!
Fabulous! Any work-related training just went right out the window, but
it was nice to meet a fellow "dog person" in my own work environment!!
Shelly & The Boys

Old May 21st 04, 01:51 PM
Gwen Watson

Shelly & The Boys wrote:

I do think of the dogs all the time at work.

I don't just think about my dogs while at work, I pine over them
dreading every minute I spend here. Cursing the fact
I have to work and be away from my dogs for one minute.
Strange I didn't feel that way about my kids.

Glad you have a new trainee that loves dogs too. That ought
to turn out to be real fun.

Gwen

Old May 21st 04, 05:02 PM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:21:24 +1200 Paul B whittled these words:
Dogs are hard work, if your dogs arn't then you ain't looking after them
properly!!!

That would depend upon the dog, and what you think of as work. Not every
dog is driven and active anymore than all people are. There are plenty
of dogs who content to laze around just as there are plenty who always
want to be on the go.

My dogs are good dogs, they are extremely exuburant, 5 & 6 but
they are have as much energy as I can remember. I love the dogs, I love the
challenges they set before me, where we get to challenge each others wits,
training!!!

Then you probably don't want an easy dog. My first dog, a GSD, was so
easily trained I thought ALL dogs were like that. I couldn't understand
why people couldn't stop their dog from running after a cat, rabbit or
deer. More experience has taught me about the range of differences
between dogs.

Learning how to out wit a dog is exhausting, it's hard work,
and keeping up out witting the dogs is just as tiring,

There are some dogs that are a challenge to "outwit" although I don't
have one presently. Quite often the challenge might be motivating the
dog to your thinking. Which of course is quite a different matter.
Instead of trying to outthink the dog you find a way to bring the dog
around to your manner of thinking.

I'm an engineer by
trade, logic and that sort of thing, so I love the abstract thinking that
comes with dog training, I some times find myself thinking about dog
training when at work but never work when I'm out with the dogs!!!

Well you certainly have your priorities straight.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/