Can I teach Pupster to eat weeds?

Old May 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Marie

Default Can I teach Pupster to eat weeds?

OK, so this is more of a gardening question than it is a dog one--I'm not
really serious about trying to teach Macula to eat my weeds (unless you
think it would work?!?), but since at least one other recent thread has gone
*wildly* off topic into the garden zone, I figured I'd ask anyway.

I've always been leary of pesticides, when Macula started using the backyard
I became warier (sp?) still. Now that the rugrats are going to be crawling
(and *walking*!!!!!! what's happening to my babies?!?!?!?!?!?!) around on
the grass, I'm not sure there are any chemicals that are safe. Besides,
Toronto has passed a by-law banning pesticide use for "cosmetic" reasons,
which means within two years the nasty poisons won't even be an option.

That said, I still have a problem with weeds: dandelions and thistles in
particular. I mean, I have dandelions reaching two feet tall, and thistles
that hide in the grass just *waiting* to attack the unsuspecting barefoot
(or other bare piece of anatomy in the case of kidlets). This isn't good.
Neither (I think) is the fact that I've caught the boys chewing dandelion
stems (and fluff and flowers and roots--yet they show no interest in the
greens which, I understand, are the edible part of the plant).

I've tried digging them out by hand: when I did manage to get the entire
root (rarely) I discovered I had merely traded a bad weed for a *really* big
hole (on average, about ten inches deep and about six inches in diameter).
I figure that this is simply creating a lawn which will allow all critters,
two and four legged, to twist/sprain/break limbs.

So, any ideas? I can't use chemicals, I don't want craters, and lack of
time is a constant in my life. And so far Macula, my ever-lovin' garbage
gut, shows no appetite for plant life. Any one have a goat I can borrow?
(Oh wait, I'm a citydweller: goats aren't allowed, they are "domestic
animals." Phooey.)

TIA

Marie

Old May 22nd 04, 03:24 AM
Melinda Shore

In article le.rogers.com,
Marie wrote:
So, any ideas?

Sure - don't dig taprooted weeds out, use a lifter. No
hole, or at least not much of one. Just shove it down next
to the root and lever it out.

http://www.gardenerstoolshed.com/gar...on_weeder.html

As a result of the Bush tax cuts, taxes on wages are
now 2.5 times greater than taxes on investment income.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
culprit

"Marie" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
OK, so this is more of a gardening question than it is a dog one--I'm not
really serious about trying to teach Macula to eat my weeds (unless you
think it would work?!?), but since at least one other recent thread has

gone
*wildly* off topic into the garden zone, I figured I'd ask anyway.

mow the lawn at about 2.5-3 inches, often. once a week, if possible.
overseed with grass. grass is a worse weed than the other weeds, and will
choke them out.
always cut dandelions before they go to flower, and eventually they'll go
away. oh, and they're actually pretty good for you (stem and root too), so
i wouldn't worry about the kids eating them.

the thistle, i'm not sure about, we don't have them where i live.

but the #1 secret to a good lawn is to keep the grass happy. it'll do the
rest for you.

-kelly

Old May 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
culprit

.cable.rogers.com...

Old May 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
culprit

.cable.rogers.com...

Old May 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Marie

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article

le.rogers.com,
Marie wrote:
So, any ideas?

Sure - don't dig taprooted weeds out, use a lifter. No
hole, or at least not much of one. Just shove it down next
to the root and lever it out.

http://www.gardenerstoolshed.com/gar...on_weeder.html

Hmmm...I've bent a couple of those things in half, and still only gotten
part of the root. My in-laws gave me one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...2,216 0,40706

(they upgraded to this:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...2,230 0,44822 )

but it was what helped create the craters. Wierdly enough, the one thing I
did discover while flooding roots is that none of my taproots seem to go
straight down--they kinda angle off to one side or the other.

Marie

TEach Come Number 9 Dog behavior 3 May 13th 04 02:14 PM
TEach Come Number 9 Dog behavior 0 May 13th 04 07:41 AM
How to teach my dog not to play "Chase" & play Fetch instead CG Dog behavior 3 October 7th 03 10:31 PM
How to teach my dog not to play "Chase" & play Fetch instead CG Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 09:33 PM
How to teach my dog not to play "Chase" & play Fetch instead CG Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 09:33 PM