The wrong side of the (baby) gate

Old May 11th 04, 06:37 PM
Marie

Default The wrong side of the (baby) gate

We are attempting to refine Macula's training as to the taking of treats:
until now its always been enough that she wait until it's held out to her
and that she takes it gently (no teeth)--but with two pre-verbal kids on the
scene right now, she was mistakenly(?) assuming that biscuits etc held by
the kidlets were being offerred to her, and more than once a rugrat would be
happily waving a cookie around only to find their hand suddenly empty :-}

So until Macula can be taught a cue-word for accepting food, and learn to
wait for it, we simply keep her away from the boys when they're eating
unless they're in their highchairs (where food is out of dog reach unless
dropped--at which point it's fair game).

The boys have just finished a snack of animal crackers, seated at they're
little table in the familyroom. Macula watched the entire time, with her
chin leaning on the babygate, whining softly everytime a crumb dropped. She
is eagerly awaiting the gate to come down so that she can fullfill her
one-doggie mission in life: that is to be the best furry vaccuum cleaner on
the planet :-) But first, I have to clean up the *huge* drool puddle on the
floor by the baby gate :-)

Marie