Unruly Puppy

Old May 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
B B

Default Unruly Puppy

I have a Heinz 57 pup. A real doll. I have other dogs a boxer and a
min-pin. Both were really potty trainable. She is a problem. I take her
out and she might or may not go and come in and go. I know her father
was a border collie, does this attention span problem have something to
do with that? I work in a nursing home and she "works" all night with me
and has her breaks but when I get home she is nuts and knows no
training. She is a very high strung dog! I got her at 12 weeks she is
about 16 now. I have never had such a high energy dog what should I do?
She goes to work with me 8 hours every night, I play with her, my other
dogs play with her. I would like to start agility with her she is very
very smart. I'm ready to start jogging to wear her out. So any help with
the potty and exercie questions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old May 24th 04, 05:16 AM
Natalie Rigertas

B B wrote:

was a border collie, does this attention span problem have something to
do with that?

She's a baby! They have short attention spans.

I work in a nursing home and she "works" all night with me
and has her breaks but when I get home she is nuts and knows no
training. She is a very high strung dog!

Are you confusing high energy with high strung? Border collies are one
the breeds that needs about an hour of run time a day. Your puppy may not
need quite an hour, but at least a solid half hour of the puppy running
free, at its own pace. Is there a local dog park you can take her to?
Generally, once that energy has dissipated, the dog is MUCH more amenable
to training.

I got her at 12 weeks she is
about 16 now. I have never had such a high energy dog what should I do?

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Throw a ball for her for half an hour, make
her run and bring it back. Let her run in a fenced area until she's
pooped out!

She goes to work with me 8 hours every night, I play with her, my other
dogs play with her. I would like to start agility with her she is very
very smart.

You can start what is called puppy agility. It's basically a training
program with limited physical stuff. The idea is to get that good working
relationship started, and a bit of exposure like very short dog walks
(maybe a foot high), tiny jumps (maybe a couple inches high), the tunnel,
etc.

I'm ready to start jogging to wear her out. So any help with
the potty and exercie questions would be appreciated! Thanks!

She CANNOT be jogged until her growth plates have knit! For medium to
large dogs, this is usually, at the earliest, a year of age. More often
it is 18 months. When you take her in to check the state of her hips
(with an x-ray, to see if they are dysplastic) you can have the vet check
the growth plates. It's really important to get her hips checked before
you start running, because if you run with a dog with dysplasia, it can
make it worse. Elbows should be checked too. The hip/elbow check will be
helpful for making sure she can take the stresses of agility, once she's
older and is doing full jumps and such (again, which shouldn't be done
until those growth plates are knit).

Now, a half hour or an hour of the puppy running at its own pace is far
different than the stresses put on by jogging for a half hour or an hour.
When free running, the dog runs, stops, sniffs, checks out other dogs,
runs again, etc. You wouldn't make a 4 year old child run 2 miles every
day, but you certainly would let them run around the yard with a friend
until they are too tired to do anything else, even if the child covers the
same amount of distance. It's the same philosophy.

As for the potty training, I think I missed the problem. I'll go back and
see if I did, and if so respond again.

natalie

--

The turtle lives twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.

Old May 24th 04, 05:30 AM
Natalie Rigertas

B B wrote:
I have a Heinz 57 pup. A real doll. I have other dogs a boxer and a
min-pin. Both were really potty trainable. She is a problem. I take her
out and she might or may not go and come in and go. I know her father

Basically, you need to let her know that when you go outside, she has to
potty before she comes in. When she wakes up, take her out of the crate,
rush her outside, let her pee on the spot you want her to pee, and praise
praise praise her. Bring her inside. After she eats breakfast, wait
maybe 10-15 minutes while watching her (does she sniff, circle around,
look like she's getting ready to go?) and then take her outside to the
spot she went before. If she doesn't go in 5 minutes, just bring her back
inside. Either watch her, or let her be in her crate for another 10
minutes, then take her out again. Chances are she'll need to go the
second time, and won't need a third. You can also put some poop in the
area you want her to go. When she starts to eliminate, give a cue word,
like "hurry up" or "do duty" or "potty". Always praise when she finishes.

Make sure she goes out right away every time she wakes up, either from
overnight, or from naps during the day. Let her out after eating. Let
her out after playing. Let her out every hour to two hours, on top of
letting her out after the situations I mentioned. She is old enough to go
2 hours, but because you're working on getting her trained, one hour might
work better, just watch her signs. Always just take her out, give her 5
minutes, bring her back in, then take her out 10 minutes or 15 minutes
later. Say "outside" or whatever you want when you are taking her out, so
she learns what outside means. *after* she's had an elimination trip, you
can take her out to play.

Ideally, you set her up so she won't make *any* mistakes. The more
mistakes they make, the harder it is to train. So keeping on top of her
potty habits is in your favor, even if it means taking her out a LOT when
you first start. As she learns, you can stretch out the time between
potty breaks (while still following it after sleep/meals/play). Dogs
usually are ok for an hour longer than they are old in months. Yours is,
um 16 weeks? 4 months? So you should eventually be able to stretch it to
taking her out every 5 hours on top of everything else. If you want her
to cue you to taking her out, you can hang some bells from the door, long
enough for her to reach, and jingle them everytime you go outside. Most
dogs pick it up and will nose the bells. And most go through a period
(once they have started to train) of nosing the bells just to get outside!
That passes for most dogs, because you'll know they won't need to go (have
just been outside, say, in the last half hour) and can ignore it until
it's more likely they need to go.

Definitely invest in a crate if you haven't already. Most dogs housetrain
by 6 months, but can take up to a year to be completely reliable, leave at
home all day and come home to no puddles reliable. The crate is handy,
because if you need to go, you can leave your 7 month old for 8 hours
crated, since dogs hate to mess their crates. The same dog left free
running in the house may decide to pee.

good luck!

natalie

Old May 24th 04, 02:16 PM
James Agnew

because if you need to go, you can leave your 7 month old for 8 hours
crated, since dogs hate to mess their crates.

No, I feel that's too long a period of isolation (crate or no crate)
for such a young puppy.

You'd be better off, IMO, asking a relative/friend/neighbour (or just
hire someone) to look in on your dog at lunchtime and play with him
for 15-20 mins, allow him to go to the toilet, stretch its legs etc.
This will break the crating into 2 smaller, somewhat more acceptable
periods.

Regards, James