Updated Patterdale Site

Old May 23rd 04, 06:29 PM
Number 9

Default Updated Patterdale Site

www.activestarkennels.com
We have updated our site with some working pictures from yesterday. Please
share your comments, thanks Angie, and everyone else for your input.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks...

Old May 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Angie

Diana wrote:
but they're not a 'standing still
breed')

Hehe, you can say that again! Thank heavens for digital cameras :0)

Old May 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Angie

Old May 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Angie

Old May 24th 04, 04:57 PM
Number 9

Thank you for your response. I have noted many bully-type "Patterdale
Terriers", originating in the America's. There seem to be two pre-dominate
sizes amongst Patterdales, all over. The 8-17lbs dog, and the 18-35lbs
dog. Since the Patterdale terrier has been brought to America, it has been
bred for American game and weather conditions. The "Patterdale Terrier" is
DEFINITLY a terrier that is a working dog, bred to work, and not necessarily
for looks, nor color. Obviously originating from the Lakeland area.
Where I live, Patterdales are bred small "10-17lbs" for groundwork, raccoon,
opossum, groundhog, fox. And the Patterdales are bred large, for larger
game, i.e. wildcat, wildhog, and basically anygame over 30+ pounds. It is
not that they have "non-Patterdale" blood, but they have been purposely
selected and bred here for the game here. Now, I KNOW that many have
Staffordshire blood, and I actually own one, that is very bully to me.
When you research Patterdales, you will find that they are quite a mix of
terriers, and various fighting terriers, and normally either the "Bull
Terrier" or the "Staffordshire Terrier" is common, and unknown to me, other
fighting dogs of England. My Black Bitch, that you see on the site is
Directly a Nuttall bred dog. My male, which is Milo, has Lakeland Terrier,
DIRECTLY in his blood. This can be quite confusing to someone that does
not know that these dogs are the same dog, but a selected strain for various
purposes, including, color, attitude, and size. There are red, black, and
chocalate Patterdales. There are Patterdales that have been bred with
short and long coats... some too short, and some too long. This is what
you encounter when you enter the world of a dog that is bred only for
working, as only the Physical capabilities, people loving attitude, and
gameness matter, when breeding a dog such as a Patterdale. Of COURSE, a
breeder's particular "Fancy" is a Major factor, on how the dog will
"appear". But the thing most important is once again, "FUNCTION". If you
were to select a dog, I would first check the conformation of the dog
against the breed standard. Most people use the standard written by Brian
Nuttal. I have reviewed this standard, and have deemed it most functional,
for the dog, and it's deemed quarry. I do breed in that direction. I do
not however hold against any dog breeder what they breed for, as long as it
is "functional".... i.e. Toy dogs, dogs that require a C-sect more than 10%
of the time, flaws, and etc. In my personal opinion, it is CRUEL to breed
dogs of any type, that are "Handicapped". Here in America, we have some of
the very same needs. We need a dog of great courage, that also has the
ability to flush game out of earth, or enter the hole, and dispatch that
same animal. That is what we breed for. My advice for future "Pet"
owners, is to buy whatever you like, and ensure that it is registered with
either the PTCA or the UKC. My advice to true hunters, is to ensure that
your dog is registered with the PTCA and that it DEFINITLY comes from a game
driven hunting kennel. Ensure that the dogs parents are not just "Pets".
They make great pets, but a hunter will fair out much better with a dog with
a pedigree full of "Hunted" parents.

Thank you
- Amir Ali

Old May 24th 04, 04:57 PM
Number 9

[...]

Dog Lovers: cute fun money making dog photo web site aaa Dog rescue 0 December 4th 04 11:16 PM
Dog Lovers: cute fun money making dog photo web site! aaa Dog activities 0 December 4th 04 11:15 PM
Rottweiler web site suggestions?? lasse Dog breeds 6 April 16th 04 05:47 PM
Dog News Site Kaiser Dog behavior 0 September 28th 03 06:22 AM