New Puppy Owner -- some questions...

Old May 25th 04, 04:57 AM
Jessica McCanse

Default New Puppy Owner -- some questions...

Hi there... my husband and I just brought home a beautiful 9 week old
Rhodesian Ridgeback girl. We did lots of reading about the breed
itself and about training puppies, but I haven't had a puppy since I
was a little girl (so of course my mom always did the real work), and
a lot of this stuff is sort of new to me.

I have some questions that books can't really answer for me and
hopefully someone wiser and calmer can help me through this.

According to the Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete,
Judo (our pup) is in her fear/avoidance period. For that reason, I'm
not sure how much of her current fear & whininess is just due to the
stage of her life, and the fact that everything is new.

She's doing great with housetraining (I'm crate training her and
watching her every instant she's not in the crate), and so far hasn't
had any accidents. However, she starts whining and screaming
(literally -- she sounds like someone's murdering a woman!) whenever
she can't physically see me. This is a fairly chaotic time, as my
husband and I are moving to another state in 1 week, but I am home
from work this week and have devoted ALL of my time to her. I haven't
been able to do any packing or any of the other things I've planned,
which is ok -- but not if it goes on forever.

Today I tried to gently and gradually get her used to me leaving for
small intervals of time. Unfortunately, with the screaming & whining,
my downstairs neighbor started pounding on his ceiling and it just
couldn't go on. Luckily we are moving in 1 week to a house on many
acres, and the privacy thing won't matter so much anymore.

Mainly, I would like to know if, while she's walking with me on her
leash (which she does very well) but whining all the while, should I
stop and let her cuddle? Should I ignore the whining and keep walking?
I feel like I'm not sure where the line between coddling and brutality
is.

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Jessica