Seizures..

Old October 12th 03, 08:17 PM
OrlandoHot

Default Seizures..

I have a 5 year old dog...Jack Russell mix by then name of "Buddy".
He never showed signs of any seizures before I had his X-mas decorations
removed. (neutered)
He started having seizures in his second year about every 4 months, and
third year the same.
His fourth year the seizures started to become more frequent to every month.
This year he has gone from one a month to two a month.
"Buddy" knows when he is about to have one of these.
He comes to me and gives me a look and then goes in to grand mal seizure.
They usually last about ten minutes.
I just comfort him with low voice and slow strokes to let him know I am
there.
The vet started him on Phenolybarbitol in July.
I thought this was a cure. I did not observe any more seizures.

My Other Half's brother came down a few weeks ago and stayed with us.
He said that Buddy had a seizure just after he came back from walking him.
That was Sept 26....now yesterday Buddy has another seizure with me, which
is the first I had seen sense starting him on the med's. back in July.Though
the physical responses to a seizure were not all present anymore (signs like
rigged, stretched body and convulsing,) he only shows signs of clamping with
his paws and a lot of drooling.
As you can guess I love the hell out of this dog.
The vet's all say that seizure's in dogs is common.
I find this hard to believe as none of the dogs I had growing up back in the
60' to 80's never had them.
I actually think that the vet's are putting the dogs down or under to far
when they neuter them.
Doe's anyone have any experience that they would like to share with me?
Short of having Buddy cat scanned, I really don't know what to do.
Not that I could afford such a thing or even think that what ever it is that
is wrong with him can be fixed.
I am so frustrated all I can do is make him a happy and safe life.
If you would like to respond please send email to:
Yes, I have an email address for him!
OrlandoHot

Old October 13th 03, 02:24 AM
Rocky

OrlandoHot said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I actually think that the vet's are putting the dogs down
or under to far when they neuter them.

I suppose that it's possible that some seizures can be
attributed to anesthesia. Do you know any of Buddy's
littermates?

Doe's anyone have any experience that they would like to
share with me? Short of having Buddy cat scanned, I really
don't know what to do. Not that I could afford such a thing
or even think that what ever it is that is wrong with him
can be fixed. I am so frustrated all I can do is make him a
happy and safe life.

There are many reasons for dogs to have seizures. Read through
some of the links on my links page, under "Dog Health".
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Links/LinksMenu.html

Old October 13th 03, 02:49 AM
Rocky

OrlandoHot said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

No, he was wondering the neighborhood at about 8months old
and pre-trained.

That answered one of my questions. What about the rest?

Old October 15th 03, 02:33 PM
Debbie Ng

My 2 year-old German Shepherd started sizing at 1 1/2 years. The first
time it happened it completely took him off guard. the next seizure
occurred 6 weeks later followed by 1 month later then 3 weeks, 2 weeks,
weekly and finally daily. At the end he was sizing 2-3 times a day. The
vet put him on phenobarb but it didn't help, all it did was damage his
kidneys ( had to give a very high dose to try and control his seizures) He
was also on valium. He was so miserable he howled all the time. It was
horrible watching him deteriorate so quickly and not being able to do
anything about it. 6 months later we had to put him down cos he had severe
brain damage from all the seizures. He went blind, couldn't walk without
stumbling, couldn't hear and couldn't respond to anything. We still don't
know what caused the seizures... He was young, healthy...

I hope you're able to find something to help your dog. It's incredibly
heart-breaking to watch your dog suffer.... You're right, my dog also knew
when the seizures were coming on and each time he would lie down so he
wouldn't fall. That look on his face, the confusion, the pain, it's too
much.

Debb
--

No-one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth
shut.

Old October 16th 03, 03:38 AM
news.east.earthlink.net

Buddy needs another visit with the vet. His seizures are increasing in
frequency and he may just need an increase in his pheno. That happens
sometimes. My dog seized twice a day like clockwork at 5:00 p.m. and then
around 10:00 p.m. beginning at about 5 years of age. Her seizures eventually
were controlled, but it took about 2-3 months of getting the dosage right.
Too much phenobarbital controlled the seizures but made her groggy and all
she did was sleep; not enough and she would start seizing. Occasionally
after being controlled for a while seizures would start breaking through
again. Walking her almost always brought on a seizure, by the way.
Increase in stress levels can do it too. Mandy's seizures increased when we
brought a new dog into the house, when we moved, even if our work schedules
changed too radically, or if she got herself too worked up barking at other
dogs or people walking down the street.

Bottom line is you can't let the seizures get worse. The brain has a
"memory" for frequent seizures and it can get very hard to control if you
let it go. It may not be anything more serious than some of the above
reasons.

Good luck.