Problems walking whippet on leash - please help!

Old May 28th 04, 03:38 AM
George

Default Problems walking whippet on leash - please help!

Hi,

I have a four and a half month old female whippet who will not walk
on a leash. If I try to take her for a walk, after a few feet, she stops
dead in her tracks and refuses to walk. I've tried coaxing her with dog
treats but that doesn't work. (She'll lunge forward and grab the treat
and the stop to eat it.)
What's interesting is that if we take her somewhere she's not
familiar with, I have no problems walking her. On the other hand, if she
recognizes the street we're on, she absolutely won't budge. Instead, she
just looks back at where we came from after we walk a couple feet.

This problem seems to be getting worse over time. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
George

Old May 28th 04, 11:44 PM
George

Hi Mel,

We just use a regular collar. How does a martingale collar help?

Thanks
George

Old May 29th 04, 12:07 AM
Just Mel

A martingale is very wide,it is a slip-type collar and it doesn't block the
dogs(important with thin necked dogs)ability to breathe or move its throat.
My thinking is,that near home he responds in pulling and refusing to walk,
because he is comfortable with his surroundings.When he/she is in new
surroundings he/she is a bit nervous and wants to stay close to your side so
he/ she doesn't pullI.E. doesn't choke.
I spent a sec. looking and right off found this
http://www.okdirectpets.com/store/collars/index.jsp
I don't have anything to do with any company that sells collars or
anything.. just wanted you to know how much one might help your dog.Even if
it doesnt look like it, you might be hurting your dog.
good luck and dog bless

e.rogers.com...