The can noise!!!

Old May 28th 04, 11:09 AM
Paul B

Default The can noise!!!

Hi folks,

When I came home today after leaving the dogs home alone again for over 10
hours in the house (or outside through a dog door anytime they want) while I
was working the dogs had left my wifes scarf and makeup bag on the living
room floor!!!! OH MY GOD, HOW COULD THEY!!! Well they could & they did.
Soooo how did I react?, did I tell them "BAD dogs look at this", did I say
"oh not again" or did I ignore it and walk on by as if nothing had happened?

Well sort of the last scenario, no point in making an issue out of it, after
all they get left alone every day for 10 hours and lately they ain't been
getting regular walks, I've been too busy working to walk them. But I can't
have them picking up any item they like just coz they are alone, but then
again they have been good dogs, all alone all that time and nothing to
really worry about, hell this is the only incident, BUT what do you do to
stop them, this could be the beginning of the end hell next thing it's going
to be the Duvet all chewed up on the floor!!!

Well hell yes it will be if you make an issue out of it!!! The dogs are
screaming for attention, they need reassurance, they want to know you think
they are are good dogs and still think of them and love them!! So how do you
show them the error of their ways without winding them up and causing stress
which will lead to even more problems? Sure as hell by not telling them
they are "BAD DOGS", they aren't bad dogs they are frustrated dogs that are
SCREAMING for attention, so tell them they are "GOOD DOGS" tell them you are
sorry you had to leave them all alone but thats the way it is, be nice to
them but before you do any of that USE THE CAN, when I walked past the scarf
and makeup bag I didn't react, I took off my jacket and boots, walked into
the kitchen had a glass of water then picked up the can and as I walked past
the afore mentioned items tossed the can near them and carried on walking no
reaction, the dogs knew the can was for the items on the floor and the can
noise is distracting and unmistakable but no reaction from me, so I didn't
get involved in the issue but the can said to the dogs loud and clear that
those items are not to be touched again!!! I went to my room changed out of
my work clothes then called the dogs to me and greeeted them
unconditionally, they were happy and so was I.

Hmm "today" actually happened about 3 years ago and the dogs are always good
when left alone now, dogs are always speaking to you, you just have to learn
the language!!!

Read Jerrys Wits End Manual there are really good ideas in there!!!

Paul

whiny noise Sasha Dog behavior 4 February 5th 04 06:20 AM
whiny noise Sasha Dog behavior 0 February 5th 04 05:54 AM
whiny noise Sasha Dog behavior 0 February 5th 04 05:54 AM
whiny noise Sasha Dog behavior 0 February 5th 04 05:54 AM
harmful noise levels Scott Dog health 2 October 28th 03 06:13 AM