Carsickness showing up late?

Old May 28th 04, 04:46 PM
Jess Knoch

Default Carsickness showing up late?

My 7-month old mastiff pup just puked, about an hour after we got home from
a car ride to the vet (just to be weighed). Could this be carsickness?
Recently she's been not wanting to get into the van -- maybe this is why?
We switched from the backseat of a Buick LeSabre to the back area of a
mini-van about a month ago. She *never* hesitated to get in the Buick and
was never sick. She was fine in the van for a week or so but then showed
reluctance to get in, but only about half the time.

Any help would be appreciated. If it is carsickness, what can we do to make
car rides better for her?

Thanks,
Jess K.
and her puppy Bree

Old May 29th 04, 05:08 PM
Pat

"Jess Knoch" wrote in message
My 7-month old mastiff pup just puked, about an hour after we got home

from
a car ride to the vet (just to be weighed). Could this be carsickness?
Recently she's been not wanting to get into the van -- maybe this is why?
We switched from the backseat of a Buick LeSabre to the back area of a
mini-van about a month ago. She *never* hesitated to get in the Buick and
was never sick. She was fine in the van for a week or so but then showed
reluctance to get in, but only about half the time.

Any help would be appreciated. If it is carsickness, what can we do to

make
car rides better for her?

Thanks,
Jess K.
and her puppy Bree

Of all the dogs I have had....only one was car sick.
She used to travel the same distance each time before being sick.
I tried not feeding her and it still happened.
So I would guess it is car sickness.
Pat.

Old May 30th 04, 01:19 AM
Susan Fraser

We switched from the backseat of a Buick LeSabre to the back area of a
mini-van about a month ago.

Could be not being able to see out? Or riding backwards? Or no airflow?

SheBop used to get carsick. Was better where she could see out, and move
herself around to face whatever way she wanted (on the backseat in a harness
with a swivel hook to the seatbelt) and a window cracked. No loud radio. Drove
gently - slowed gradually, no jackrabbit starts, eased through turns. Etc.

Good news is that she outgrew it. I asked here (geeze, that's been around 6
years ago!!) and the consensus was that most puppies that get carsick do
outgrow it.

Ginger helps, too. Sushi's made it eay to find, but real (health food) ginger
ale is easier to get the dog to take.

And out of curiosity, how much _oes a 7 month old mastiff pup weigh? ;-)

Susan Fraser, owned and trained by
BeBop a Lu SheBop SH, Shamma Lamma Ding Dong MH,
Semper Choo Choo Ch'Boogie, and Gris Gris Gumbo Ya Ya
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/chinchuba/AuH2OK9s/

Old May 30th 04, 11:41 AM
Jess Knoch

Susan Fraser wrote:
[dog sick]

Could be not being able to see out? Or riding backwards? Or no
airflow?

Thanks for the ideas. She seemed to do better in the crate (not being able
to see out very much) than she does in her new, more-open position. Maybe
that's it. But for the time being, we're assuming it's carsickness even if
it shows up an hour late. I guess the carpet is easier to clean than the van
:-).

Good news is that she outgrew it. I asked here (geeze, that's been
around 6 years ago!!) and the consensus was that most puppies that
get carsick do outgrow it.

That's a good thing. We will keep taking her in car rides, taking it easy on
the turns.

And out of curiosity, how much _oes a 7 month old mastiff pup weigh?

She just topped 100 pounds, although I suspect she's a bit under weight. It
seems like every time I look at her her ribs are sticking out!

Jess K.