Patterdales

Old May 29th 04, 07:48 PM
Number 9

Default Patterdales

I believe the cause of the difference is the 'focus' on the "Nuttall" strain
of Fell terrier, which is a vastly "phenotypically" different from the
normal hairy, Lakeland/Border terrier crosses that are common in the Fells.
Americans, in my opinion, favor shorter haired dogs for the Fell Terrier,
and I see the popularity of the Nuttall blood here all the time. At least
here in the Southern region, where most Patterdale owners do own, or
Bulldogs, or Pit Bulls, etc, and they WORK their dogs. I myself do favor
shorter haired dogs for many reasons. My very best hunting Patterdale had a
bit of longer hair in various places. Nuttall seems to be a very small pool
of genes in the Fell developments. My dogs are of heavy Nuttall breeding,
and the black bitch is PURE Nuttall breeding. The Nuttall Dogs have ranged
from Bully headed to a shorter muzzles. I you have access to the book
titled "The Fell Terrier" by Brian Plummer, it will show you clearly of what
I speak. Check page 86, 207, 227, . This showcases the dogs that are
commonly used overseas. My dogs favor the dogs of short coat on page 241,
227, 167, 105. These dogs are a strain purposefully developed by, Brian
Nuttall, Cyril Breay, and a host of others, that you may have heard of.
The variations of Fell terriers is very wide, as far as types. I do prefer
the same type that Brian Nuttal developed as well. After being with dogs
so long, I have realised that I like almost all dogs, but will only breed
what I have need for, and that's tough terriers with the mental and physical
capabilities that suit my needs and the colors I like. If you have any
other Patterdale pictures or advice, post them. I like seeing new dogs.