treats for pancreatitus-prone dog

Old August 25th 03, 04:53 PM
Betsy

Default treats for pancreatitus-prone dog

Hi. Beau the collie has epilepsy & pancreatitis, a bad combination because
his KBr must be given with food. He is also still young (5) and needs to
chew things occasionally. He gets the night crazies, when it's too late to
walk him. Only a chewie will do.

But he seems to react badly to chewies. Last night I gave him a booda bone
(the ones made from cornstarch). I buy the smaller kind, for smaller dogs.
But this morning he was vomiting bile, so the internist recommended
withholding food for 24 hours.

This puts him at risk for seizure, as the KBr is very tough on the stomach
unless given with food. I'll skip the morning dose but will attempt the
evening one.

Does anyone have any advice on safe treats that are going to keep him
chewing for some time, and won't just be inhaled? I will not give rawhide,
or other animal parts such as hooves or pigs ears. Perhaps a beef bone from
the butcher would be safe?

Thanks.