5 month old pup still biting

Old May 30th 04, 02:46 PM
Lynda

Default 5 month old pup still biting

Hi all,

Jake, my 5 month old Border Collie is a pleasure to own - except he is
still (possibly play) biting. He is a loving and obedient dog much of
the time but still does the following:

a) nips our legs at times as if to encourage play but does not respond
to "no" at any time - I know this is a BC trait but it can be painful!

b) play biting when excited including snapping, it's not an agressive
look or bite just something he does - but again "no" is not working
nor time out

c) just as I thought I was doing well, he's starting to play up now if
he doesn't want to do something - at the end of any walk he senses
the end is near, lies down and gives a quick bite or two if I try to
pick him up. He absolutley won't move so I have to pick him up but he
doesn't make it easy and I can't drag him! He also "refuses" to go
outside unless he sees fit - so the outside command is often met with
him having what can only be described as a bit of a tantrum really and
of course, a bite.

People have told me to "down him" - get him by the scruff of the neck
and hold him down and say no - it doesn't work (though I have only
done it a few times - it makes him worse) and to be honest I am not at
all comfortable doing it, even though it doesn't hurt him, I find it a
bit too agressive. Am I too soft?

I'm with him all day and most of the time he is good as gold but I'd
be really grateful for advice or shared experiences on the biting
problem.

Cheers

Lynda

Old May 30th 04, 03:48 PM
Just Talking

Hi!
I think you´re dealing with an alfa leader. Try "amichien bonding". Maybe if
you act as a leader he stops this.

"Lynda" escreveu na mensagem

Old May 30th 04, 04:37 PM
Cagpep

"Lynda" wrote in message
[...]

Have you thought that perhaps your BC is bored. These dogs need mental and
as well as physical stimulation. If he's play biting interrupt with a fav
toy and reward the right behaviour. I have owned BC's for many years and
found that most of their negative traits come through from the owners.
Don't keep saying 'no'. Do something positive and reward. They learn very
quickly. When you come into the house start by slightly ignoring him and
putting a treat in the bowl. Allow him the treat on your command.
Eventually he should just go straight to the bowl and wait. Remember how
intelligent this breed is and use it to your advantage.

Yvonne

Old May 30th 04, 05:52 PM
kilikini

"Lynda" wrote in message
[...]

Lynda, my Aussie is a year now and still doing the play bite thing. I put
another toy in his mouth and when he isn't biting I tell him what a good boy
he is. Heck, I'm trying, but I'm dealing with an alpha male like you are.
Border Collie, Aussie, same thing. GREAT dogs, so smart, but tough if they
think they have the upper hand.

I wish I had advice, but I've already got my hands full. ;~)

BTW, my dog CHARGED into the ocean yesterday after tennis balls and swam in
a clean, clear fresh stream afterwards. How nice to have a tired, happy
dog. *smile*

kili