PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME>>>I AM SOOOO DISTRAUGHT

Old May 30th 04, 03:05 PM
Honey's Mum

Default PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME>>>I AM SOOOO DISTRAUGHT

This is my first posting here. Hope I am not a burden to any of you,
but I don't know who else to ask...but the world wide web.

I had a LOVELY Sydney Silkie Terrier...the most gorgeous creature,
well disciplined little girl anybody could ask for...with the
personality of 3 dog...and maybe 10 humans...heheheh

We bought a large house on a huge block , so we bought a second dog to
guard the property. She was bought as a pup about 5 months ago...so
she was 8 months old. She was a X Rottie...Dalmation...a lovely
looking dog and verryyyy nice natured.

Now ....ok this is hard to type...I am shaking. My little dog and the
large dog always fought over food...just growling kind of stuff. But
the small dog would nip at the big dog if provoked.

Yesterday this happened and the big dog went ballistic and killed my
little Terrier ...grabbed her by the throat...and we could NOT get her
to release her gripp...it was horrific!!!! My little dogs neck was
snapped...

To top it off...immediatley after she killed my dog...she happily ate
the piece of chicken!!!!

My husband rushed our Silkie ot the vet but as we thought...she was
dead. He immediately returned home a took the other larger dog to the
vet...to be put down. He said he could not live with himself...as he
knew my Silkie had been with my since the early 90's

What a day!!! I am not just saying this...but I was absolutely ready
for the assylum yesterday. Thank goodness my neighbour had some
Valium...I was soooo devasted and beside myself.

Can anybody help me make sense of this??? Obviously the younger
larger dog was jealous...but why kill the Silkie....they had gotten on
ok...quite a few growls as I said...the odd showdown...but nothing ot
indicate this traumatic end!!!

Please help me1!!!

Stella
Old May 30th 04, 06:14 PM
kilikini

(BIG snip)

Our condolences,
Carmen, Kai, Max, and Alex

You have a dog named Kai too? How funny! Which one is it? The BM, the BC
or the Dach?

When i was growing up we had a Dach named Max as well.

My Aussie's name is Kai. Kai in Hawaiian means water. My dog loves the
water and has light blue eyes - thus the name.

kili

Old May 30th 04, 06:58 PM
camocarmen

Stella, first let me say that I am sorry for your loss. It's the same as
losing any other family member and it sounds like you may have lost two.

I'm assuming that your terrier was about 10 years of age (YOA) and the Rott/
Dalmatian is about 8 mos.
If this is true, then my insight is as follows (take it with a grain of salt
as it's only my opinion):

1. When the Terrier moved in she was on "foreign soil" and felt the need to
re-establish territorial rights. When the Rott/ Dal moved in - the Terrier's
motivation strengthened. However, the Terrier probably knew due to hormonal
secretions that (even though huge in comparison) the Rott/ Dal was a pup.
{Rott/ Dal's don't fully mature mentally and physically until around 2 yoa.}
For this reason the Terrier probably took it easy on the R/D ; and the young
R/D didn't try to take control initially.

2. Because the R/D was obtained for security purposes she was probably given
full reign outside? while the Terrier remained mostly indoors? If this is
so then this is like forming a perimeter around an enemy. As the R/D aged
she began to assume her protective responsibilities - which include keeping
foreigners out of her domain and controlling the natives inside of her
kingdom. Because you and your husband still maintain Alpha/ Beta status in
her eyes she has not questioned you (and will not as long as you maintain
that status). However, she felt that she should be ahead of the Terrier in
pecking order which means getting the best selections of food, attention
from Alpha/ Beta, and other knight-worthy privileges in the "wolf world".

3. The Terrier felt did not want to relinquish her right to 3rd place behind
the two humans and argued with typical terrier tenacity to maintain her
place. Terriers will often continue to fight a losing battle. Placing food
for the respective animals in close proximity promotes competition. It is
often the primary prize in a pack - the strongest wolves get the best
selections and it trickles down to scraps for the weakest. The R/D attacked
because she was establishing her dominance (ownership) of whatever the
humans don't want.

4. It is highly probable that that R/D does not yet know her strength. The
Terrier probably took it easy at first but increased her retaliation
accordingly as the R/D grew in size. This would lead the R/D to think that
she and the Terrier were comparable in their abilities. Going for the throat
is common in dominance establishment. There are two things that a dog cannot
do to you - pick you up and throw anything at you (wine corks, tennis balls,
nothing harmful) - these are regarded as dominance techniques to the dog.
Therefore grabbing the throat and picking up another animal is a dog's way
of showing instinctive dominance. The damage was probably unintentional ;
this would explain why she nonchalantly ate after the incident.

( It is important to "play-wrestle" with any puppy to show your strength.
Sometime during the session you should place the pup on his back and hold
him until he does not fight and gives. They will often audibly "sigh" at
this point. Then you can let him up and continue playing. A young guard-dog
in training should win some of (20%) but not all of the time. This increases
confidence.However the percentage should be decreased as the pup ages until
mature when the dog should never win against you. At this point, even though
a 100# dog is capable of winning, he believes that you are stronger and will
not challenge you or your commands.

5. The incident was a culmination of : the Terrier was fighting to maintain
3rd place ; the R/D felt that she had 3rd place because she was in charge of
the perimeter (therefore all within) ; food offered (3rd place gets the
"left-overs" of 1st and 2nd) ; both dogs wanted to claim 3rd ; R/D didn't
realize her strength ; Terrier does not give in and take 4th ; conflict
continues ; you step-in but fight is between 3rd and 4th - they do not
consider you to be a concern unless you have established unquestionable
authority over both animals; unless you have trained your dog to "Release"
or "Aus" she has no idea what the yelling is about.

As the owner of a Border Collie (4 yoa), Belgian Malinios (1.5 yoa), and a
dachshund (16 yoa) I have had to referee similar circumstances. Currently
the order is human, BM, BC, Dach. Believe me there was a lot of snipping and
yapping every time a new individual was introduced ; however they do not
question their commands whether it be not to fight or not to touch meat that
I have placed on the floor in front of them. It's kind of like this : you
have child who is well-behaved; another kid comes to visit who is not so
nice; the good kid may lower his behavioral standards until the new kid
understands the rules ; there will be a short period of settling before
equilibrium.

My dach didn't give in and take 4th until the BM was 14 months. The Dach is
now blind and deaf and will run into toys/ bones which belong to the others.
I always keep out a watchful eye to make sure that nothing happens. The BC
and BM respect my status; therefore they will not transgress rules which
state "no fighting". When the Dach touches one of the others' belongings
they immediately whine thus letting me know that there is a problem. I must
move the Dach from the area where the items are or risk upsetting the
balance in my home. There is always a 15 foot buffer zone between all food
bowls.

If / when you decide to allow more than one dog into your home, feel free to
e-mal me and I will answer any training questions.

Our condolences,
Carmen, Kai, Max, and Alex

om...

Old May 30th 04, 07:49 PM
camocarmen

Kai (BM) ; Max (BC); and Alex (Dach)

I chose "Kai" because it's a mono-syllabic word with a long vowel.
{I should have named him "Eight" ; "Nein" is the German command for "No";
and Eight is one short of a Nein (hahaha).}
Kai loves water! We just bought a kiddie pool for him to lounge in after
long frisbee sessions. He doesn't understand why a poodle hasn't arrived
with his Beefeater's martini yet!

Max is a Border Collie/ Aussie mix (we think). Although his coloring (tri)
is more like a BC, he has the frame and build of an Aussie.

Small world.
Carmen