(Good) Agility books

Old June 2nd 04, 09:41 PM
Marie

Default (Good) Agility books

I'm about to venture into the dog training section of the bookstore once
again, and figured I shouldn't go unprepared.

I want a Good, Easy-to-read, Easy-to-follow, How-to book on Agility for
beginners. An "Agility for dummies" type thing.

Specifically, I am looking for basic beginning exercises Macula and I can
work on in the backyard (ie: introducing weave poles, teaching hand
signals, etc.), and how to inexpensively assemble/build some basic equipment
(for example: what is the best thing to use to make weave poles and/or
guide wires, and how far apart are they supposed to be placed).

If it matters: should we ever get to competition it will be in Canada
(Ontario). I read you Agility Guys talking about different governing bodies
(?) for the sport, so if there are regional differences and books geared
towards them, I would appreciate a "local" version.

I look forward to your suggestions. (Just remember: EASY READ...after a
year of motherhood, I've basically decided the children have eaten my brain,
and I haven't found a replacement yet ;-P )

Marie

Old June 2nd 04, 09:49 PM
Judy

"Marie" wrote in message
ers.com...
I'm about to venture into the dog training section of the bookstore once
again, and figured I shouldn't go unprepared.

I want a Good, Easy-to-read, Easy-to-follow, How-to book on Agility for
beginners. An "Agility for dummies" type thing.

The ones I started with a
"Agility Training" by Jane Simmons-Moake
and
"All About Agility" by Jacqueline O'Neil

There are pros and cons to each book but both had pretty basic stuff in
them. It's been a while since I read them except as reference material but
my memory is that neither one will steer you wrong in any respect.

They both have sections on the various organizations - the copies I have are
fairly out of date on the specifics of that but it's still a starting point
even if they haven't updated.

The Simmons-Moake book has a section on building your own equipment.

If anybody has any better suggestions, I'd be interested myself. DH has
started reading both of these along with my copies of Clean Run and I'm
trying to keep him immersed as much as possible.

~~Judy

Old June 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Robin Nuttall

Marie wrote:

I want a Good, Easy-to-read, Easy-to-follow, How-to book on Agility for
beginners. An "Agility for dummies" type thing.

Look on Clean Run (www.cleanrun.com). Just at a glance, I'd say any of
the introductory books:

Excelling at Dog Agility book 1 by Jane Simmons-Moake
Go the Distance by Stacy Peardot Goudy and Bud Houston
Agility Fun the Hobday Way Volume 1
Introductory Agility Workbook

Specifically, I am looking for basic beginning exercises Macula and I can
work on in the backyard (ie: introducing weave poles, teaching hand
signals, etc.), and how to inexpensively assemble/build some basic equipment
(for example: what is the best thing to use to make weave poles and/or
guide wires, and how far apart are they supposed to be placed).

For building equipment, Do It Yourself Agility Equipment is excellent,
again available through Clean Run. Specs for almost all venues as well
as lots of sources for supplies, etc.

You might also want to go ahead and get a subscription to Clean Run
magazine, the monthly Backyard Dogs exercises are super and you can just
skip any articles that you think are too indepth--but keep the issues
because you'll want to revisit those later. The weave issue is also
excellent.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Rocky

Marie said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I want a Good, Easy-to-read, Easy-to-follow, How-to book on
Agility for beginners. An "Agility for dummies" type
thing.

I *really* recommend a basic hands-on class before you start
training on your own. Poke around here for clubs:
http://www.aac.ca/

For building your own equipment, there's www.cleanrun.com for
books (look for the one written by Kurt Gaub, though the last
time I looked it wasn't there). Here's good list, even if you
only subscribe because the files section holds lots of designs:

If it matters: should we ever get to competition it will
be in Canada (Ontario). I read you Agility Guys talking
about different governing bodies (?) for the sport, so if
there are regional differences and books geared towards
them, I would appreciate a "local" version.

Another list to read:

It's the "official unofficial" list of the Agility Association
of Canada (AAC), though sometimes covers other venues available
in Canada, like CKC, NADAC, and USDAA.

IIRC, in your area the most common trials are AAC, NADAC, and
UDSAA in that order.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Rocky

[...]

shelly DETHRONES NESSA as MVP (Most Valuable Psychotic) of dog newsgroups!! _michael 2.76 Dog breeds 0 September 20th 04 01:28 AM
For Novice A Agility Competitors Robin Nuttall Dog behavior 108 May 26th 04 01:43 PM
Ping: Melanie Debbie S Dog behavior 966 January 20th 04 04:18 PM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM