Confused about my Samy

Old June 6th 04, 03:54 PM
Ed

Default Confused about my Samy

Background:
My wife and I moved to our current house 14 years ago. We obtained a female
samy a few months later. She was well behaved and friendly. At about the
same time, a neighbor got a female black lab. The two played together
frequently and we often dog sat the lab when the neighbor went on vacation.
When they were about 1 (the dogs, not the neighbor), the neighbor moved and
was going to take the lab to the shelter. We immediately adopted her(the
lab) and she's been a real sweetheart.

The samy died at 10 from lymphoma. About 1 year later, we adopted another
female samy who got along well with the lab. When the samy was about 2, the
lab was slowing down quite a bit so we decided to get a male samy (we love
samys) to keep the female company. Both females are spayed and the male is
neutered. He's 1 year old now.

Occasionally, the male and female get into a really mean snarling and
snapping match but they have never bitten each other and as soon as I tell
them to calm down they do. I hold them part for a few minute and they're
fine. Kind of like a time out. The lab ignores them and sleeps most of the
time.

That's the background. Now for the problem.

We live in a closed off neighborhood of about 30 houses and 50 acres of
wooded lots. There is one way in and out. I have trained the dogs to go into
the woods when a vehicle approaches. They run free and they have never left
the neighborhood. Now please, lets not get into a urinating contest about
free running dogs. It does not violate local or state law and I am home with
them. They come with me or stay in the house when I am gone.

A newly arrived neighbor has recently complained about being afraid of the
male biting her or her dogs( they're miniature somethings, about 3-4
pounds). I've gone over there with him on a lead and he is fine. She pets
him and he licks her hand. He barks at the dogs and they yap back at him. I
can take him off the lead and he behaves the same way. She says he is
different when I'm not around. Obviiously, I can't judge his behavior when
I'm not around. Kind of like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal for any
scientists out there. Other neighbors have commented that the male is kind
of stand-offish but not unfriendly. He does seem to have developed a hand
shyness. I'm not sure why since neither my wife nor I have ever hit him. I
have grabbed him a couple of times when he was misbehaving but not roughly.

I have a business in my home and about 50 - 60 people have come over here in
the past 6 months. There has never been a problem. The male and female
generallly run over to the car when it stops and the female warmly greets
them while the male watches.

I've kind of wondered if he's just assuming the alpha role when I'm not
present. But then I've never "barked" or been aggressive around people (I
don't think).

Any ideas? I plan to contact a behaviorist next week

Old June 6th 04, 04:43 PM
Spot

Dogs can tell when someone is afraid of them and will push the issue when
they get the chance to. I don't doubt that the new neighbor is telling you
the truth about your dogs behavior. The others don't seem to have a problem
and in all likely hood they aren't afraid of the dog and the new one is and
the dog can sense it. Just because he behaves when you are home doesn't
mean he has that same attitude when running loose.

In my opinion you are just asking for a problem here by letting them run
loose. The only clear choice is to stop the free roaming and exercise them
yourself. If you want to give them room to run the close in the yard or
invest in an underground fence. Even then some dogs will cross them if they
go into attack mode. It's no guarantee they will stay in the yard.

Celeste

Old June 6th 04, 09:45 PM
Sunflower

I think you are very very lucky to not have encountered a neighbor who was
bothered by your free roaming dogs and who wanted to solve the problem
themselves rather than contact you about it and give you the opportunity to
build a fence. Another neighbor who isn't as kind would probably shoot or
poison the animals. For your dog's safety, and for your insurance premium,
fence your dogs in.

Old June 7th 04, 03:33 AM
flick

"Ed" wrote in message

We live in a closed off neighborhood of about 30 houses and 50

acres of
wooded lots. There is one way in and out. I have trained the

dogs to go into
the woods when a vehicle approaches. They run free and they

have never left
the neighborhood. Now please, lets not get into a urinating

contest about
free running dogs. It does not violate local or state law and I

am home with
them. They come with me or stay in the house when I am gone.

Sorry, it's really difficult for me to believe that it isn't
against some law for your dogs to roam on other people's
property, if you're in the U.S.

Out here, a lot of people believe the same as you. But it *is*
against the law to allow dogs to roam; or at the very least, you
will be liable for any damages that your dog does. And other
people have the right to be free of your dog's presence on their
own property, without having to build a fence to keep your dog
out. Get my drift?

So build a fence, and quit inflicting your dog on everybody else.
Because where you live may not have city-type "leash laws," but
you're letting yourself in for your dog being shot or poisoned,
as another poster has mentioned, or if it bites somebody or
somebody else's dog it'll be quarantined and then destroyed. And
you'll be sued or maybe arrested.

Since you think you're doing your dog a favor allowing it to run
free, do it another favor and KEEP IT SAFE by putting up a fence.

Oh, and by the way, when your dog gets older and can't hear as
well, it's going to get hit by a car, because it won't hear it
coming, no matter how well you've trained it.

flick 100785
--
No torture has yet been devised that could get a liberal to
mention the poor, beleaguered Kurds dancing in the streets

---