Papillon very shy - normal?

Old June 6th 04, 08:28 PM
Carol

Default Papillon very shy - normal?

My friend just got a Papillon puppy abut two weeks ago. She's about
12 weeks old. She is afraid of everyone except my friend - and it
took her a while to get used to her. She sees me almost every day and
yet when I approach she runs away obviously frightened. She does the
same thing with everyone.

Is this normal Papillon behavior? My friend would really like her to
be more friendly. I've even taken to carrying treats that she loves
with me, but she won't even take that from me.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old June 6th 04, 11:21 PM
Leah

(Carol) wrote:
My friend just got a Papillon puppy abut two weeks ago. She's about
12 weeks old. She is afraid of everyone except my friend - and it
took her a while to get used to her. She sees me almost every day and
yet when I approach she runs away obviously frightened. She does the
same thing with everyone.

Is this normal Papillon behavior? My friend would really like her to
be more friendly. I've even taken to carrying treats that she loves
with me, but she won't even take that from me.

Some young puppies are very shy, especially if they weren't exposed to strange
people until they were sold. The little ones tend to be even more shy, but
it's usually not the dog's fault. Owners are more likely to coddle
teeny-tinies. If you're going, "Ohhhh, poor baby!" then you're giving the pup
the message that there's something to be afraid of. Make sure mom does not do
that! :}

Puppy thinks strangers are scary. So her mom's job is to teach her that
strangers are no threat, and that they always have wonderful treats.

So mom should carry some yummy treats and start easy by having friends - like
you - tossing little bits of it to the puppy. Don't approach her, don't even
look at her. Ignore her. But whenever you're around, you're tossing her
favorite treats to her.

Slowly start to toss them closer and closer to you, until you can offer them in
an open palm and she'll take them. If she gets this close, and you're patient,
she will eventually approach you. And then you can slowly put out your hand,
palm up, and skritch her under the chin.

Now, while this is going on, mom is cheerleading the pupster. Every time she
pays any attention at all to the human, mom is going "Yay! Good puppy!"

Mom needs to get this pup exposed to as many strangers - men, women, children,
and other dogs - as soon as possible. But under controlled conditions. The
goal is to make the pup feel SAFE, not threatened. So taking her to PetsMart
on a weekday in the shopping cart is good. Taking her on a weekend on a leash
is not. In the cart, when it's not busy, mom can monitor her experiences a lot
better.

Nobody is allowed to look at, bend over, or reach towards the puppy. But they
are allowed to talk to mom, while offering little pieces of treats in open
palms. And mom has to remember to cheerlead every little encounter. Good
girl, you looked at a person! Whee, you took a treat!

At her age, she's got a great chance of becoming a confident, well-socialized
dog, IF she isn't (1) molly-coddled and over-protected, or (2) pushed into
situations she's not ready for.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old June 7th 04, 07:00 PM
Jo Wolf

Go to www.dogwise.com and order a copy of the book _The Shy Dog_. It
has many wise and effective methods you can use throughout the dog's
life.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

PAPILLON RESCUE The Butterfly Effect Dog rescue 0 December 15th 04 09:39 PM
Papillon or Maltese? Katie Dog breeds 0 September 13th 04 08:10 AM
Normal during day, drinking-peeing nonstop at night???!!! Ron M. Dog health 4 March 15th 04 03:15 AM
Papillon Lori Dog breeds 1 October 20th 03 05:16 AM
heat exhaustion vs. normal panting? Marie Castellano Dog health 9 August 4th 03 06:36 AM