Puppy's behavior questionable. Need some advice.

Old June 9th 04, 03:02 AM
CHR

Default Puppy's behavior questionable. Need some advice.

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired Kiley, a female german shepherd/golden retriever mix (or
at least that's what my Vet is guessing--she looks just like a german
shepherd but she's all gold=beautiful!)

She is not my first dog. Over the years I've had several (including a
rescued Beagle who was abused for the first 3 years of her life.) So I'm
used to "puppy" idiosycrasies (sp?) I can handle the chewing (I think
Kiley's a feminist because she's destroyed every bra I owned!) I understand
the steps to potty training. And she quickly learned that hands are NOT chew
toys!

What's bothering me is that Kiley demonstrates absolutely no form of
submissive behavior EVER. You know how a pup will roll on their back to
show the person or the bigger dog "you're the boss, and I know it!"? Well
Kiley's never done that. In the course of trying to train her (just the
simple commands: come, sit, stay, down etc...) If I have treats she'll do
it. If I have no treats, nothing. If I reprimand her with a sharp No (not
when training but when I catch her doing something wrong,) she barks at me
and tries to keep doing it. (For example, if I find her with one of my
slippers, I'll take it away from her, tell her NO is a stern voice, and give
her a toy. She'll bark at me and try to get the slipper from my hand.)

She's not mean! I would never have a mean dog. She's loving but she has
absolutely no respect (that's the only word I can think of.) Right now I
can handle it because she's only 40 lbs. But pretty soon she's going to be
alot bigger, and if this continues, I'm concerned about being able to keep
my sweet little girl under control--Kiley thinks that if she wants it,
she'll get it come hell or high water.

I do not reinforce this behavior (or at least I don't think I am.) I'm
trying to find an obedience school but I live in the boonies. I've read a
couple of books, but they have't really addressed anything like this. I
think Kiley has my discipline mode mixed up with my play mode. How do I get
back on the right track with her? It's my responsibility to get through to
her, not her responsibility to magically understand. I'm frustrated with
myself because I feel like I'm short changing Kiley. I'm sure she picks up
on my frustration, and doesn't understand why.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance,
CHR