help please

Old June 9th 04, 06:59 PM
Ryan's

Default help please

I have posted here before about my BC cross barking like a maniac during his
walks.

History....

Had two dogs, Airedale and BC cross. Airedale passed away about a month and
a half ago now. Since then, BC has taken to barking non stop on walks. Still
walks nicely with a loose lead etc... but barks almost the whole time.
Finally quiets down as we are returning up the driveway to end the walk.
People look at us and cross to the other side of the street, thinking he's a
crazy dog. :-)

I have tried getting him to carry something in his mouth.... works for two
seconds, then keeps dropping it to bark.
I have tried the "quiet" command, which works 100% in the house and in our
own yard. He doesn't even acknowledge I have said anything.
I have tried stopping as soon as he starts barking and making him sit until
he quiets and then continuing on the walk. He doesn't get it. For three
days, we never made it out of the driveway.
Tried a muzzle..... nevermind, just barked slightly smaller barks.
Even tried a bark collar..... barked and yelped through the stupid thing.
Tried a water bottle..... no joy.

This is an almost perfect dog in all other situations. Very well behaved and
obedient except while walking.
He follows basic commands, except "quiet" the whole time while barking
crazily.
I don't know what else to try.
Any suggestions? My neighbors are getting annoyed and I don't want to stop
walking him, he needs his exercise, he is a BC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old June 9th 04, 07:20 PM
Walter & Company

Couple suggestions:

1) take neighbor's dog on walks with your BC
2) if that stops your BC's barking, adopt another dog to keep him
company

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:59:33 GMT, "Ryan's"

Old June 10th 04, 02:22 AM
camocarmen

Do you discipline him the same in public as at home? How much socialization
does he get?

My BC/Aussie often acts-up in public - it's almost like he thinks, "Hhhmm is
the fun worth the discipline? Yeah- it's worth it!" I stepped up my
reinforcement so that public repercussions are the same as at home. It took
a while - and he still does break the rules at times - but at a lesser
frequency (he's only human - uh, I mean canine) . A deep growl from me or
a slight pinch behind the ear usually brings him back to his wits.

He also "talks". No, not in a "Son-of-Sam" way. If I say
"OOO"-"kla"-"hO"-"ma", he will do his best to pronounce the word syllable by
syllable a couple of times then put it together into one doggie version of
the word. Words with long vowels seem to work best. I have attempted to
interpret his "versions"; I can usually understand when he wants to go out,
eat, or if the water-bowl is empty. This is opposed to him barking, running
to what he wants, etc.

The point is - maybe your BC is trying to communicate with you or others by
emulating your behavior. If this is true - try molding it. Once he finds out
that you find this behavior ("speaking") desirable he will view it as a
"trick" - worthy of a treat - not something he'll do for nothing. He may
then view idle barking as senseless in light of his newly found ability. {My
BC only idly barks at the Fed-Ex man.} After a while he'll enjoy the fact
that you're trying to understand him (no treats required) ; the only dog on
the block that can speak human. Yes, with humility I do admit that I talk to
my dogs - and , yes, they talk back.

I am well-trained,
Camocarmen

(I trained a Lab for my mother. She called; the dog kept staring at her;
what should she do? He wants to talk to you, Mom. That was 6 yrs ago and
they've been inseparable since.)

Old June 10th 04, 12:48 PM
Ryan's

"camocarmen" wrote in message
Do you discipline him the same in public as at home? How much

socialization
does he get?

Problem is, at home I only have to say "quiet".... no discipline is
required. On the rare occasion that "quiet" doesn't work, calling him to me
usually ends the bark. At home though, he only barks when people come up the
drive or knock on the door.

When out walking, he ignores that command. He will obey every other command
but does so while barking.

He speaks on command.

This was never a problem when my other dog was alive. Could he be afraid or
confused walking without his lifelong buddy?