Over-treat vs. under-treat

Old June 9th 04, 07:12 PM
Chris

Default Over-treat vs. under-treat

It's difficult to find a veterinarian who's down-the-middle, isn't it?
Mac, eating almost nothing, has been to a vet every day for the past
week as he inches to diagnosis. Currently thinks it's strep, though Mac
hasn't responded to antibiotics yet. "We won't biopsy his swollen
maxillary glands yet because the thigh ones are OK, and I've never seen
a dog with half-lymphosarcoma." Blood panel OK. Just changed
antibiotics and gave him a shot of pred which he says will help flush
away toxins.
Guess I'll hang in a little while longer, then take him to a hospital
which will take umpteen tests and have Mac in surgery within the hour.
Am I a malcontent, or are others not content with the veterinary
treatment you get?
(Glad I wrote this. Seeing it on the screen reassures me that the vet
may be doing all right.)

Old June 9th 04, 09:30 PM
Child

"Chris" wrote in message
It's difficult to find a veterinarian who's down-the-middle, isn't it?
Mac, eating almost nothing, has been to a vet every day for the past
week as he inches to diagnosis. Currently thinks it's strep, though Mac
hasn't responded to antibiotics yet. "We won't biopsy his swollen
maxillary glands yet because the thigh ones are OK, and I've never seen
a dog with half-lymphosarcoma." Blood panel OK. Just changed
antibiotics and gave him a shot of pred which he says will help flush
away toxins.
Guess I'll hang in a little while longer, then take him to a hospital
which will take umpteen tests and have Mac in surgery within the hour.
Am I a malcontent, or are others not content with the veterinary
treatment you get?
(Glad I wrote this. Seeing it on the screen reassures me that the vet
may be doing all right.)

I have different vets for different dogs and different kids of ailments.

I am concerned about Mac, although I recall him being a picky fellow, no?
Please keep us posted. Hope all is ok.

Old June 9th 04, 09:55 PM

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:12:10 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

It's difficult to find a veterinarian who's down-the-middle, isn't it?

for me, it's more a matter of finding one whose judgement i trust. i've
found it helpful to ask them how they'd treat the problem if it were
their own dog.

Mac, eating almost nothing, has been to a vet every day for the past
week as he inches to diagnosis.

like Beth said, he's *always* a bit picky about food, isn't he? i can
understand your worry (lord knows i nearly made myself crazy when
rory-cat wouldn't eat), but try to stay calm about it.

Currently thinks it's strep, though Mac hasn't responded to antibiotics yet.

aw, poor Mac. i feel his pain, literally (been sick for a week myself,
with one of the side-effects being zero appetite). it sucks to be sick,
especially, i imagine, when you can't verbalize what's wrong.

"We won't biopsy his swollen
maxillary glands yet because the thigh ones are OK, and I've never seen
a dog with half-lymphosarcoma." Blood panel OK. Just changed
antibiotics and gave him a shot of pred which he says will help flush
away toxins.
Guess I'll hang in a little while longer, then take him to a hospital
which will take umpteen tests and have Mac in surgery within the hour.

have you gotten a second opinion from another vet?

Am I a malcontent, or are others not content with the veterinary
treatment you get?

let's just say that it took me two years to finally find a vet i'm happy
with.

(Glad I wrote this. Seeing it on the screen reassures me that the vet
may be doing all right.)

s/he may well have things under control. if *you're* still concerned
though, by all means, get a second opinion.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Within the coming 5 months you will find 3 missing socks.

Old June 9th 04, 11:17 PM
Julia Altshuler

Every vet I've ever had has been good enough to continue seeing but had
something I thought wasn't perfectly up to snuff. The guy in Miami was
fast, inexpensive but offhand in his bedside manner. I preferred that
to the more careful precious expensive treatment that Cubbe gets up here.

Whatever happens, keep us informed on how Mac is doing.

--Lia