Beagle with newborns?

Old June 10th 04, 04:55 AM
foo

Default Beagle with newborns?

We have an almost 2 year old female Beagle and last week brought home our
newborn child. We had expected her to act differently, possibly jealous or
left out, so we made extra sure to pay special attention to her. I curious
if anyone knows what her actions mean. It doesnt seem like she's jealous,
maybe mroe like protective? Let me explain...

Any time the baby makes the slightest noise she jumps up and stares at him
goes over to him and sniffs. She constantly tries to sniff him but we keep
her a little at bay. Once a night or so out of no where she will jump up to
her feet bark (she NEVER barks) runs over to the windows growls and barks,
then comes back and lays down. A lot of times her face looks sad her ears
are up and tail usually wagging so Im assuming her facial emotions arent
always how we percieve them to be. She also kind of keeps to herself a
little more and is a LOT more settled/quiet then the week before.

I know its not much but based on this is she just being overly protective of
the baby or is she barking and growling like saying, god dam f'in people pay
more attention to the baby now grrr? Is she sad? Does anyone know any good
sites that explian what Beagle face expressions mean?

Thanks in advance

Old June 10th 04, 06:13 AM
Nevyn

Dear Foo

This is predatory behaviour which is extremely dangerous. Beagles do not
attack their prey but bay to call over their hunter (you) to get the prey
(your baby). She doens't see it as a little person.
Please be careful.

Nevyn

Old June 10th 04, 01:31 PM
Judy

"Nevyn" wrote in message
. ..
Dear Foo

This is predatory behaviour which is extremely dangerous. Beagles do not
attack their prey but bay to call over their hunter (you) to get the prey
(your baby). She doens't see it as a little person.
Please be careful.

This is complete hogwash. And I don't think I've ever said that here
before. Have you ever lived with beagles?

Beagles do not bay to call over their hunter. They don't care if there is a
hunter there or not. Never have. They are independent hunters. The hunter
uses the sound to locate his dog but the dog isn't concerned about the
hunter at all - his intent is to catch that rabbit himself. And he's not
sneaky or circumspect about it.

The initial sniffing of the baby and her reaction to it sounds more
protective to me. The baby makes noises similar to puppy litter noises.
She most likely has no thought in her head of harming puppies.

The barking at the window may be completely unrelated. I see no reason to
make a connection without more evidence. And even if there is a connection,
it may also be protective. She may be letting the outside world know that
she is on guard.

Beagles have many different barks. A true trail bay is an almost visceral
thing. You can feel that it comes from a whole different place within the
dog than a more "normal" bark. Like most dogs, they have warning barks,
alarm barks, play barks, woo-woo barks. Since the OP said she hasn't been a
barker at all before, she just may not be familiar with the type of bark
she's hearing.

Think about it, if any other dog, in a house without a baby, went and barked
at the window in the evening, would you think he was calling for
reinforcements to attack something? The OP said "growls and barks". This
is not a bay.

For the OP, hold your baby and the dog - say on a couch - and let the dog
sniff the baby until she is bored. Pet her, praise her. Make the baby part
of *her* family too. She may feel that she's been moved down a notch in the
pecking order - and she has. She'll be fine with that but she wants to know
just who *is* in the pecking order. The dog will figure it out pretty
quickly.

As far as the facial expressions, I'm guessing she's playing on your guilt
and has discovered something that works for her. Expressions vary so much
from dog to dog that it's way too personal a thing for someone else to
figure out. In general, I'd watch her ear position and tail position -
which is a BIG indicator in beagles. But mostly, she's probably sitting
back and trying to figure out how she's supposed to fit in.
--
~~Judy
Spenser - Carbor Talk of the Town, NA

Old June 10th 04, 02:34 PM
Nevyn

Could I please see your degree in Canine Sociology?

Old June 10th 04, 02:34 PM
Nevyn

Could I please see your degree in Canine Sociology?

Old June 10th 04, 02:34 PM
Nevyn

Could I please see your degree in Canine Sociology?