Question

Old July 13th 03, 05:30 PM

Default Question

On 13 Jul 2003 02:12:34 GMT MYDOGPLUS whittled these words:
I would like to know or get opinions on the various kennel clubs. I hear a lot
about AKC and UKC. Are there others?
Thank you.

What do you mean when you say "Kennel Club"? ARe you talking about
pedigree registeration, holding competitive events or some combination?

In the United States there are a lot of organizations that register dogs.
Some do it for the purposes of tracking pedigrees and representing the dog
as purebred.
Some do it for the purposes of tracking a dog for titles in competition.
Some claim to track pedigrees, but don't concern themselves with
"purebred."
Some do it to issue "papers" so that people can say their dog has
"papers."

Of the organizations that register to track pedigrees and represent the
dog as purebred:
Some hold competitions in conformation and/or other events
Some do not hold competitions in conformation and/or other events

Of those that register, track pedigrees and hold competitive events some
register only a single breed, some register a few breeds, and some
register many breeds.

The organizations differ on their structure significantly. Some do not
allow any form of public membership, some are governed by member clubs
instead of by individual memberships, and some allow individual
memberships.

Pet shops and other commercial pet producers have their own registration
organizations so they can market their animals as "registered" but not
have to meat AKC (or UKC) requirements.

So the opinion would be based on what the purpose of the organization is,
and how well it meets that purpose.

Diane Blackman
Old July 13th 03, 07:26 PM
Rocky

MYDOGPLUS said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I was thinking more of pegigree and registration. Which
are the respected ones.

If you're in the USA, AKC and UKC.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 13th 03, 08:33 PM
Jim Battista

Bichon.ca wrote in
:

CKC - http://www.ckc.ca/

Ya gotta be careful here though, since there's also the *other* CKC,
the Continental Kennel Club, which markets itself as "no-hassle," is a
registered for-profit business, and seems to exist in order to have
"registered" dogs for puppymills who can't register under AKC anymore
and for people to register their mixed-breeds*.

There are also the various smaller-but-not-fronts-for-puppymills clubs
like ARBA. And of course the breed clubs, to the varying extent that
they're independently active.

*which would be a nice thing if it let you compete in performance
trials of some sort, but AFAIK the ConKC doesn't do any performance
trials.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Old July 14th 03, 08:34 PM

On 13 Jul 2003 18:26:28 GMT Rocky whittled these words:
MYDOGPLUS said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I was thinking more of pegigree and registration. Which
are the respected ones.

If you're in the USA, AKC and UKC.

There are also a number of breed specific ones (e.g. ABCA, JRTCA,
plus others) that are at least as
respected and legitimate, plus there are a number of multi-breed but work
specific registries. Sporting breeds have one well
respected among hunters (can't remember the name exactly American Field
Dog ....?)... Oh its even listed on the AKC website
http://www.akc.org/registration/specreg.cfm?page=6
as one recognized for AKC registration. That page lists several hound
registries. I'm not sure how highly regarded the National Stockdog
Registry is but it is certainly relied upon in some circles. If you want
a McNab with a registered pedigree that's where you go.

Diane Blackman

Old July 14th 03, 10:35 PM
Melissa S. Frye

wrote in message
. Sporting breeds have one well
respected among hunters (can't remember the name exactly American Field
Dog ....?)...

Field Dog Stud Book FDSB, for primarily field bred pointers and setters.
--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old July 15th 03, 04:23 AM
Rocky

Diane said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

If you're in the USA, AKC and UKC.

There are also a number of breed specific ones (e.g. ABCA,
JRTCA, plus others) that are at least as
respected and legitimate, plus there are a number of
multi-breed but work specific registries.

Doh!!

I don't know what made my brane focus on only the multi-breed
registries, especially since one of my dogs is registered with
one of the largest breed specific registries.

Thanks Diane and Lynn.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Chihuahua question Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 2 July 15th 03 02:00 AM
Question for breeders Tara O. Dog breeds 12 July 13th 03 03:28 PM
Question on breed Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 30 July 11th 03 03:01 PM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM
Question about ears [email protected] Dog breeds 0 July 6th 03 05:12 PM