JRT eating frenzy

Old June 15th 04, 05:08 AM
Michael Lindekugel

Default JRT eating frenzy

Hello,

I rescued a 6-7 year old Jack Russell Terrier from a shelter 18 months ago.
the shelter was not nice or clean. I am his fifth owner. he lived in the
shelter for over a year. he was never trained. he was never potty trained.
he had many behavioral issues - Jerk Russell Terrorist. I immediately began
training with him. in a few months, I have solved many of the behavior
issues. the one issue that I can not solve is his eating.

I feed him three times a day. his weight is normal and steady. he eats so
fast he doesn't chew all his food. invariably the food comes back up during
feeding time. I am sure his feeding frenzy eatings habit is related to a
cattle call feeding in the shelter. any suggestions to entice him to eat
slower?

cheers,
michael

Old June 15th 04, 06:55 AM
Rocky

Michael Lindekugel said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

any suggestions to entice him to eat slower?

1. You write that you've been doing a lot of training with him -
if you're feeding him kibble for his regular food, use it as
training treats, feeding him his entire meal by hand.

2. There are many toys, from Kongs to dispenser balls, that will
drop treats when the dog works on them. Kong feeding ideas:
http://www.kongcompany.com/how2use.html

3. Feed as you normally do, except distribute the food in a
muffin pan, or spread it on the floor (dry food only, heh) or on
a baking pan, or place a large rock or two in his supper dish
that he'll have to work around.

4. Free feed him - if he isn't a total glutton like my Rocky
who'll eat until he bursts. An eternally full food dish may
eventually convince him that he can come back later for more.

5. Do you have other animals? Aforementioned glutton Rocky
nibbles at his food when there's no competition.

Old June 15th 04, 07:37 PM
Leah

"Michael Lindekugel" wrote:
any suggestions to entice him to eat