ANZ Sam-I-Am, CGC (10/29/89-6/15/04)

Old June 16th 04, 02:14 PM
Mary H Healey

Default ANZ Sam-I-Am, CGC (10/29/89-6/15/04)

I sent Sam to the Bridge last night, about the very last thing I thought
I'd be doing on such a lovely evening. He was fine when I got home from
work, and fine when I left for the barn. Apparently, he was fine until
about 7pm, when he collapsed. My roommate thought he'd had a stroke, or
a seizure, but when I got home his gums were white and he was still
breathing in huge ragged gasps.

He looked a tiny bit more "with it" when we got to the Vet School, but
it was pretty obvious he was in too much pain to even be excited about
the car ride or nervous about the vet. (But when we urged him to his
feet, he made a beeline for the exit door. Some things never change!)

The vet started to talk about ruptured tumors, and I said "That sounds
like hemangiosarcoma." I think I surprised him a bit, hemangio isn't
that common a problem. But I learned a bit about it when Noah died, so
the more usual symptoms weren't unfamiliar to me.

They took Sam to ICU, and drew blood. And a "belly tap", which was full
of blood that shouldn't have been there. They pumped him full of
fluids, just to get his blood pressure in the measurable range. There
was a dark shading on/in his spleen on the radiographs. Clotting time
was normal.

If Sam had hemangio (and it was the odds-on favorite), surgery and chemo
would buy him six months. Maybe. A 14-year old high-strung, active dog
shouldn't have to go through that. So I made the other decision.

At least he had the courtesy to wait for me to be there with him. I'll
say this for my dogs, when they're ready to leave this world they don't
linger (unlike my cats). Full tilt boogie at 6:45, gone by 11.

Sam is why I'm "allergic" to puppies, but also why I adore obnoxious
adolescent dawgs. I dragged him to obedience class when he was 6 months
old, he dragged me to obedience class (and agility class, and clicker
training class, and seminars, and show-n-gos, and fun matches) for the
next 4 years.

The world is a safer place now for dirty underwear and plastic baggies.
I can go back to leaving the laundry basket on the floor. And the
trash cans. And I can remove my watch and set it down without finding
bits of its little crystal carcass in Sam's crate. I won't have to
flush Sam out from under the dinner table, or eat with hot dogbreath
steaming up my leg.

ANZ Sam-I-Am -- half ACD, all dog.

MHH

Old June 16th 04, 02:31 PM

on 2004-06-16 at 08:14 wrote:

At least he had the courtesy to wait for me to be there with
him. I'll say this for my dogs, when they're ready to leave
this world they don't linger (unlike my cats). Full tilt
boogie at 6:45, gone by 11.

aw, hell. i'm so sorry. i really don't know which is harder.
losing them that quickly is an awful shock, but a drawn-out
death is just as difficult in it's own way. either way, it
really, really sucks.

Sam is why I'm "allergic" to puppies, but also why I adore
obnoxious adolescent dawgs. I dragged him to obedience class
when he was 6 months old, he dragged me to obedience class
(and agility class, and clicker training class, and seminars,
and show-n-gos, and fun matches) for the next 4 years.

The world is a safer place now for dirty underwear and
plastic baggies. I can go back to leaving the laundry basket
on the floor. And the trash cans. And I can remove my watch
and set it down without finding bits of its little crystal
carcass in Sam's crate. I won't have to flush Sam out from
under the dinner table, or eat with hot dogbreath steaming up
my leg.

that certainly puts it in perspective. the next time i feel
like whining about my bratty dog, i'll consider the
alternative.

ANZ Sam-I-Am -- half ACD, all dog.

goodbye, Sam-I-Am.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old June 16th 04, 02:33 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Mary H Healey wrote in news:40D047D2.5060307
@iastate.edu:

ANZ Sam-I-Am -- half ACD, all dog.

All friend.

My thoughts are with you Mary.

Marcel

Old June 16th 04, 02:39 PM

on 2004-06-16 at 08:31 wrote:

it's own way.

sigh is anyone missing an apostrophe? i seem to've picked
up a stray somewhere along the way. if not, does anyone need
one? free to good home!