Any thougths on Wal-Mart's Super Premium Maxximum Nutrition Dog Food?

Old October 18th 03, 07:31 AM
Nicolle

Default Any thougths on Wal-Mart's Super Premium Maxximum Nutrition Dog Food?

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences or opinions on
Wal-Mart's Super Premium Maxximum Nutrition Dog Food? I am a new pet
owner and am currently trying Maxximum Nutrution for puppies but will
consider switching if it's not a good premium food for my 6 month old
golden. It seems to have some good ingredients:

Lamb, brewer's rice, corn gluten meal, chicken meal, yellow corn, oat
groats, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopheols, source of vitamin
E), beet pulp, dicalcium phosphate, animal digest, vegetable oil,
calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, brewer's yeast, choline
chloride, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, niacin,
copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, manganous oxide, calcium
pantothenate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, menadione soduim bisulfite complex
(source of vitamin K activity), vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin
supplement, calcium iodate, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, sodium
selenite.

Any comments/recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Also, am
interested to hear what other golden owners are feeding their dog.

Thanks very much!
Old October 18th 03, 04:14 PM
David Cohen

"Nicolle" wrote
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences or opinions on
Wal-Mart's Super Premium Maxximum Nutrition Dog Food? I am a new

pet
owner and am currently trying Maxximum Nutrution for puppies but

will
consider switching if it's not a good premium food for my 6 month

old
golden. It seems to have some good ingredients:

Lamb

Full moisture meat. Better would be lamb meal...dried lamb.

brewer's rice

Crap. What's left over from the brewing process. Should be brown rice.

corn gluten meal

Crap. Empty carbs. Allergy problems.

chicken meal

This should have been the first ingredient.

yellow corn

See above.

oat groats

Haven't a clue. WTF are groats?

animal fat

Crap. Should be single source fat...e.g. chicken fat.

beet pulp

Crap. Controls stool volume because the food is such crap.

animal digest

Ohmigod. You do not want to know what this is. Trust me. "Crap"
doesn't begin to describe it.

For little more than the cost of this crap, you could feed Canidae,
which, IMO, is the best commercially available super premium dog food
available.

David
--
www.geocities.com/sammiesdad/dogs.html

Old October 18th 03, 11:21 PM
culprit

"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

oat groats

Haven't a clue. WTF are groats?

oat groats are the whole oat, with the hull removed. they're actually very
nutritious, and should be the main carb source instead of brewer's rice.

animal digest

Ohmigod. You do not want to know what this is. Trust me. "Crap"
doesn't begin to describe it.

actually, wouldn't that be "pre-crap"? ;-)

-kelly

Old October 19th 03, 12:35 AM
David Cohen

"culprit" wrote
"David Cohen" wrote

oat groats

Haven't a clue. WTF are groats?

oat groats are the whole oat, with the hull removed. they're

actually very
nutritious, and should be the main carb source instead of brewer's

rice.

Ah. Thanks. Sure doesn't help the rest of that ingredients list.
Wal-Mart has nerve calling that crap "super premium".

animal digest

Ohmigod. You do not want to know what this is. Trust me. "Crap"
doesn't begin to describe it.

actually, wouldn't that be "pre-crap"? ;-)

True. It's such crap that it doesn't deserve the chance to become
crap. If you eat crap, what comes out 'in the end'? Ubercrap?
Crappola? Jerry Howe?

David
www.geocities.com/sammiesdad/dogs.html
"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet; and amid all
the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has
made an alliance with us."---Maurice Maeterlinck

Old October 19th 03, 07:07 AM
GAUBSTER2

About to challenge some commonly held beliefs here....

I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences or opinions on
Wal-Mart's Super Premium Maxximum Nutrition Dog Food?

I personally wouldn't recommend ANY Wal-Mart food.

brewer's rice

Crap. What's left over from the brewing process. Should be brown rice.

Why should it be brown rice? What kind of nutrient profile are we trying to
obtain here?

corn gluten meal

Crap. Empty carbs. Allergy problems.

There are VERY FEW allergy problems associated w/ corn. Beef, wheat, and many
others are way ahead of corn on the adverse reaction "list".

chicken meal

This should have been the first ingredient.

WHY?

animal fat

Crap. Should be single source fat...e.g. chicken fat.

How come?

For little more than the cost of this crap, you could feed Canidae,
which, IMO, is the best commercially available super premium dog food
available.

Canidae only makes a puppy food (see the AAFCO statement read, "all life
stages"). You probably wouldn't want to feed Canidae to an adult and certainly
not a senior dog as the growth level nutrients could be excessive for older
dogs.

Old October 19th 03, 08:01 AM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

Your comment that:
Canidae only makes a puppy food (see the AAFCO statement read, "all life
stages"). You probably wouldn't want to feed Canidae to an adult and

certainly
not a senior dog as the growth level nutrients could be excessive for

older
dogs.

is not correct. Canidae makes adult food also. I used to feed it to my dogs
until one came down with an ear problem that disappeared once I stopped that
food. In his 8 yrs, he has never had a problem with his ears except when he
got Canidae...and he's a Cocker!

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC