Joy of A/C

Old June 20th 04, 04:24 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Joy of A/C

Oh boy. Bodhi & I had an obedience trial today.
It was after 11:00 a.m. before we went into the ring,
and the heat, unfortunately, got the better of our teamwork (read: DQ).
Not to mention the lingering smells from some llama/alpaca
show that had taken place on the same grounds earlier that
week and nearly all 11 of the dogs in our class, and many of
the Open A dogs as well, were affected by this. I know, excuses,
excuses, but it was tough.

After watching a friend in the Deerhound ring, we headed home.
It was HOT. Icky, nasty, sticky, too-damn-hot-to-be-driving-around-in
hot. It was a long afternoon, to say the least.

My dear, dear husband, while we were out, installed the *2* A/C units
we bought last night. One in the bedroom, the other in the kitchen
(I think it's a hint that he'll no longer buy my excuse to not cook because
it's "Just too hot!"). Having never had a/c before (we've never really
needed it here, except for maybe a month out of the year), we finally
broke down.

Coda was sprawled out, legs up on the bed, enjoying the cool air on his
belly. (He didn't even greet us when we returned!)
Bodhi jumped up to see, and then just sat there. Face to the window,
breeze blowing his (and his slobber) fur.
Both of them are now officially flat dogs, enjoying our new "gift" to them!
Even the cat was lying in the middle of the living room floor, taking it all
in.
Shelly & The Cool, cool Boys

--
"A breeder who has no interest in rescue of what he has produced is of no
value to anyone, and of even less value to his breed." -- Dr. Malcolm

Old June 20th 04, 04:27 AM
Jade

Long live DH! He deserves something special for that one! I love having air
conditioning. We got it when my partner was ill. It was heaven sent. Last
summer was the worst one for a very long time. Record highs that lasted
weeks.
Enjoy your little slice of paradise, I am sure the boys will too. I know
Kelsey our Keeshond will relish the air conditioning next summer. It's cool
under the house, but hot upstairs. Our cat Napoleon has discovered the joy
of the A/C... he lays on the floor exactly where the A/C air stream hits the
floorboards. MMMM cool Kitty-
:0)
Jade.

Old June 20th 04, 06:44 PM
FurPaw

Jade wrote:

Long live DH! He deserves something special for that one! I love having air
conditioning. We got it when my partner was ill. It was heaven sent. Last
summer was the worst one for a very long time. Record highs that lasted
weeks.

A/C was one of the first things I installed in my apartment when I moved
to NJ too many years ago to mention. I inexplicably waited another
seven years to get a car with A/C. My condo and house had central A/C.
Now I am totally spoiled and must have it.

We moved to NM two weeks ago, to an area that has been having a long
heat wave with daytime temps in the low 90s. The house, which was
occupied by my parents for nearly 40 years, was never air conditioned.
At the time I lived there, it was cooler than it is now (or my tolerance
for heat was much greater), and most of my visits there were during
spring and fall, so I hadn't come to appreciate how BLOODY HOT the house
gets during the late afternoons and evenings as this phase of climatic
change has become drier and hotter. I can't believe they tolerated it
for so long.

So one of the first things we did was to set up installation of A/C,
which was scheduled for last Thursday, but a part didn't come in. Now
it's supposed to happen next Tuesday. We've survived by shutting in the
cool morning air and with fans, and keeping the dogs' heads (and ours)
damp when the house heats up before the outside has cooled down.

Yup, I'm spoiled and intend to stay that way!

FurPaw

Old June 20th 04, 08:16 PM

FurPaw wrote:
We moved to NM two weeks ago,

Hey! If you're into early music or chamber music, check out
the Musica Antigua de Albuquerque, the Albuquerque Baroque
Players, and the New Mexico Woodwind Quintet - that's my
sister on oboe. She also plays with several symphonies
around the state.

Since January 2001 the federal budget outlook for 2002-2011
has deteriorated by $8.8 trillion.