Question About Maltese Puppies

Old June 20th 04, 05:06 PM
Rocki

Default Question About Maltese Puppies

Hi! My grandmother has a Maltese puppy, he's about 4 months old. She
has started to notice that he puts his paws in his water dish as
though he is trying to retrieve something from the bottom. When she
looks in the dish, she doesn't see anything. She is wondering if he is
just cleaning his paws or playing in the water. Have you ever heard of
this? If so, what would be the cause?

Thank you,
Rocki
Old June 20th 04, 05:37 PM
Rocky

Rocki said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My grandmother has a Maltese puppy, he's about 4 months
old. She has started to notice that he puts his paws in his
water dish as though he is trying to retrieve something
from the bottom. When she looks in the dish, she doesn't
see anything. She is wondering if he is just cleaning his
paws or playing in the water. Have you ever heard of this?
If so, what would be the cause?

My Aussie, Rocky, as a puppy, use to stand in the water dish
while he drank -- he was small and the dish was large. He also
liked to dig the water out of it so he could wallow on the
floor.

Is your G'ma's dog's water dish made of metal? He could be
looking at some sort of reflection. Or, he could be simply
enjoying the new sensation of standing in water - sometimes the
simplest explanation is the best. Unless it's causing a problem
or the habit gets obsessive, I'd suggest leaving it be.

Old June 21st 04, 06:10 AM
Leah

(Rocki)
wrote:
My grandmother has a Maltese puppy, he's about 4 months old. She
has started to notice that he puts his paws in his water dish as
though he is trying to retrieve something from the bottom. When she
looks in the dish, she doesn't see anything. She is wondering if he is
just cleaning his paws or playing in the water. Have you ever heard of
this? If so, what would be the cause?

Just playing. It's fun. They usually grow out of it.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html