Driving cross-country with four dogs

Old June 20th 04, 06:31 PM
FurPaw

Default Driving cross-country with four dogs

A couple of weeks ago we drove from NJ to NM with our four dogs, taking
4.5 days to do so. I just wanted to report the good news that we had NO
difficulty finding motels that would accept all four of our dogs.
Hubster researched the motels along our route on http://petswelcome.com.
After we figured out approximately where we wanted to stop each night,
Hubster called the local pet-friendly motel. We had figured that we'd
have no problem finding a place to take the chihuahuas, but were more
concerned about our GSD and Lab. As it turned out, we got a hit on the
first try in each location.

They all added a per-pet surcharge, which varied from $3 to $10 per dog.
One place didn't charge for the chihuahuas. We stayed mostly in
budget motels - clean but with minimal amenities - because we were just
using them as a place to crash for the night.

One problem we hadn't foreseen - the first night at a Holiday Inn they
placed us on the second floor, accessible only by stairs or a keyed
service elevator (and no more pet rooms available on the first floor).
This was a problem because Dylan has hip dysplasia and arthritis, so she
needed assistance going up and down the stairs. We called ahead to the
remaining motels and secured first floor rooms in each of them.

The dogs were all great travelers. Dylan puked a couple of times, which
we controlled by not feeding her breakfast. And Gordo pooped once while
we were in a restaurant eating - minutes after he had been let out.
Other than that, they were wonderfully calm and cooperative. We
switched drivers every hour or two, so they got plenty of walks and
pit-stops.

I'm grateful for the growing enlightenment regarding traveling with
pets, and just delighted - as always - with our crew of four.

FurPaw
Old June 20th 04, 06:47 PM
Rocky

FurPaw said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

One problem we hadn't foreseen - the first night at a
Holiday Inn they placed us on the second floor, accessible
only by stairs or a keyed service elevator (and no more pet
rooms available on the first floor).

Yup, I ran into that problem a few weeks ago at a rainy long
weekend trial where I decided that I wanted to spend the final
night in a motel instead of sleeping in my van. It's amazing
how many trips you have to make up and down the stairs when
you've got dog stuff to carry.

This was a problem because Dylan has hip dysplasia and
arthritis, so she needed assistance going up and down the
stairs.

I feel for you, though it's been a couple of years since I had
to help Murphy through similar machinations.

Old June 20th 04, 07:36 PM
Julia Altshuler

During the power outage in New York however long ago that was, a friend
carried his 60# Chow Chow up 9 flights of stairs. He said he was glad
to do it for her, that it felt very loving and caring, and he felt close
to her at the time.

When we moved up here with Sheppe, I thought I was going to have to lift
her in and out of the rental truck. She'd have none of that after the
first one and jumped back and forth thereafter. We bribed a hotel clerk
$100 to let her stay in the room. They didn't normally take dogs.

--Lia

Old June 21st 04, 01:21 PM
Gwen Watson

FurPaw wrote:

I'm grateful for the growing enlightenment regarding traveling with
pets, and just delighted - as always - with our crew of four.

FurPaw

It is grand isn't it. Was this a vacation or a move to NM?

I never go without my dogs. I don't want to board them so
they go with me.

I am glad you had such a good trip with your 4.

Gwen