Is the dog *always* guilty?

Old June 14th 04, 03:23 AM
Marie

Default Is the dog *always* guilty?

This happened on Friday afternoon, but as the weekend has gone on it has
irked me more and more. Thought I'd look for some perspective he

Got home from the afternoon bus run on Friday afternoon to find a piece of
paper hanging out of my mailbox. Unfolded it to find a "Notice of
Violation" from Animal Services. My heart immediately jumps to my throat:
as you may remember, I had a run in with the animal cops last year and it
took *months* of hideous bureaucracy to get it resolved.

I look at the form, and see three things checked off: 1)Animal is not
allowed off property without a leash. 2)Animal's license must be renewed.
3)Animal must be brought up to date on rabies shots. Failure to compily
could result in fine or confiscation of animal. Whadthehell? Macula's
never off leash off our property, not even on our property in the front
yard. She just had her rabies shot last month and I was *sure* her license
wasn't up for renewal until next month.

Searching the form, I find (in very fine print) a phone number I can call if
I "have any questions." It's 4:45pm on a Friday afternoon as I'm dialing
this number. Luckily, I get a very kind and patient woman on the phone.
She says a complaint was phoned in on May 15th that my dog had run off our
property and charged some kids in front of my home. No, I say, Macula's
*never* off leash, and rarely in our front yard. She enters information in
the computer and says that if another complaint comes in the complainer may
need to provide more evidence that it was my dog. I ask her about the
license and, after checking her records, I find out I was wrong: the
license is due for renewal in AUGUST, not July. As for the rabies, she says
it's not an issue until the renewal time.

I'm so relieved that I simply thanked her and wished her a good weekend.
But as my weekend has gone on, I find *many* things about this matter
troubling. 1)Why was a "Notice of Violation" issued without anyone talking
to me first? It didn't say 'there's been a complaint,' or 'your dog is
accussed of,' it seemed to simply presume that Macula had violated the
leash laws. Shouldn't someone have contacted me, even by phone, first?
2)Why include the license thing when a 30 second check of the computer would
have deemed it unnecessary? Same with the rabies thing. 3)Will there be
any follow-up with the complainer? Is anyone going to go back to them and
say "we've checked into this and it wasn't the dog at such and such an
address that scared your kids," or are these people going to go through life
believing (and probably telling others) that our house houses an
out-of-control dog?

I don't know how animal services in your community would handle this sort of
thing, but is this normal? I don't know what (if anything) I should do: on
the one hand, the situation is resolved as far as Animal Services is
concerned, on the other hand my teeth are clenching even as I write this.

What do you think?

Marie