destructive puppy

Old June 26th 04, 04:51 AM
Bekki Preston

Default destructive puppy

I have a German Shepherd female, 1 yr old. We got her from the humane
society about 2 months ago. She is wonderful inside the house, but tears
everything up while she is outside alone during the day. We leave her in
our fenced yard while we are at work. She finds stuff and destroys it. The
BBQ cover, a camp chair, plastic fencing around the flower garden, even a
garage door opener. I got her a Kong toy, and a tennis ball chew toy, what
else can I do? My husband is ready to get rid of her...
Bek

Old June 26th 04, 05:09 AM
Rocky

Bekki Preston said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have a German Shepherd female, 1 yr old. We got her from
the humane society about 2 months ago.

Wonderful! Shelter dogs are wonderful dogs.

She is wonderful
inside the house, but tears everything up while she is
outside alone during the day. We leave her in our fenced
yard while we are at work. She finds stuff and destroys
it. The BBQ cover, a camp chair, plastic fencing around the
flower garden, even a garage door opener.

Just to be clear: She's OK in your home while you're present but
not OK in your yard while you're not at home?

How is she in your home while you're not there?

I got her a Kong
toy, and a tennis ball chew toy, what else can I do? My
husband is ready to get rid of her...

Your husband is pretty quick off the trigger if ripping up stuff
that's easily replaced is all that's happened.

Where do you live? I know that in some parts of the world it's
not common to leave your dogs inside while you're not at home.
It's OK where I live.

Old June 26th 04, 06:56 AM
flick

"Bekki Preston" wrote in message
I have a German Shepherd female, 1 yr old. We got her from the

humane
society about 2 months ago. She is wonderful inside the house,

but tears
everything up while she is outside alone during the day. We

leave her in
our fenced yard while we are at work. She finds stuff and

destroys it. The
BBQ cover, a camp chair, plastic fencing around the flower

garden, even a
garage door opener. I got her a Kong toy, and a tennis ball

chew toy, what
else can I do? My husband is ready to get rid of her...

Just because she tears up stuff outside, doesn't mean she will
necessarily do it inside. Although at 1 year, she might.

She's bored, and she might be feeling 'rejected,' for lack of a
better word, because she's been tossed out into the yard alone,
and you're gone. Separation anxiety.

I would highly recommend keeping her inside in a crate while
you're at work, if at all possible. On the weekends, you can
"test" her indoor manners with shorter amounts of time than a
full workday, and see how she does.

Others here will have more complete suggestions. Please don't
get rid of her; the problem is easily solved.

flick 100785
--
Post-war filmmakers gave us the documentary, Rob Reiner gave us
the mockumentary and Moore initiated a third genre, the

---

Old June 26th 04, 04:02 PM
Alison

"Bekki Preston" wrote in message
I have a German Shepherd female, 1 yr old. We got her from the

humane
society about 2 months ago. She is wonderful inside the house, but

tears
everything up while she is outside alone during the day. We leave

her in
our fenced yard while we are at work. She finds stuff and destroys

it. The
BBQ cover, a camp chair, plastic fencing around the flower garden,

even a
garage door opener. I got her a Kong toy, and a tennis ball chew

toy, what
else can I do? My husband is ready to get rid of her...
Bek

Hi bek ,
I should think she is upset, lonely and bored at being left outside
all day. She has been dumped by her previous owners, been at a shelter
and she's only been with you a short while. She must feel abandoned
every time you leave her outside. I expect she feels pretty anxious
and the chewing helps make her feel better.
Does she have a kennel outside with her blankets and stuff , what
happens if it is very hot or very cold?. How long is she left for?Your
husband could easily have put the plastic things away so she couldn't
chew them.
It would be much better if you leave her inside when you are at work
Build up the time she is left alone indoors, you can confine her to
one room and use baby gates, remove things you think she might chew,
leave a radio playing and have someone call in at lunch time to let
her out or take her for a walk. Don't make a big deal or fuss over her
when leaving or returning home, and never tell her off if she has
made a mess or chewed , you'll just make her more anxious .
Your dog *is* a wonderful dog and she needs some time and patience
and for your husband to understand what she has been through and look
at things from her point of view.
Alison