neighbors' St. Bernard barking at night, ideas to help?

Old June 27th 04, 02:08 AM
Ann

Default neighbors' St. Bernard barking at night, ideas to help?

My neighbors have a 6-year old St. Bernard. I've recently asked them
if they can keep the dog inside at night, since the weather is warm
and I don't have AC, the barking at night is a problem. My neighbors
are deaf, and did ask me when I moved in to let them know if the dog
is barking.

My neighbor said she's going to bring the dog inside for now, but will
investigate other ways to keep the dog quiet at night, since the dog
doesn't like to sleep inside when it's hot. She mentioned some kind
of a muzzle. Now, I know that won't work, since the dog will need to
drink, right? You can't muzzle a dog without supervision, can you?

I think the dog is barking in response to movement. Trouble is,
she'll keep it up for a long time once she's roused, which wakes me
up, then keeps me up. And my roomate.

I suggested to my neighbor I'd split the cost of a "Bark Free" device,
even though I'd read mixed reviews of it.

Is there anything else to be done that I haven't thought of?

thanks,
Ann
Old June 27th 04, 02:41 AM
Julia Altshuler

The muzzle as a cure for barking is a terrible idea, any time, but
especially when it is hot. A dog needs to pant.

I know of no bark free device that works. You really have to figure out
why the dog is barking and fix that. If you tell us more about what the
device consists of, we'll be able to tell you more about it and whether
we think it might work.

That's the point I'm confused on. Normally I'd say that a dog who is
outside at night and barking is lonely, but you say this dog prefers
sleeping outside where it is cool? That's certainly possible. Then the
dog is barking at something that moves? A normal protective alert bark?
If that's it, the dog needs to be taught what she's supposed to bark
at and what not.

I can't figure out why your neighbor doesn't just take the dog in at
night. You're apparently on speaking terms. Insist on that.

--Lia

Old June 27th 04, 03:20 AM
Ann

" why the dog is barking and fix that. If you tell us more about what the
device consists of, we'll be able to tell you more about it and whether
we think it might work.

http://www.smarthome.com/6117.html
There's an example of a place selling it. I read reviews of it on epinions,
and they were mixed.

That's the point I'm confused on. Normally I'd say that a dog who is
outside at night and barking is lonely, but you say this dog prefers
sleeping outside where it is cool? That's certainly possible.

That's what my neighbor says. And that the dog is very stubborn about going
inside at night -- they may not be quite in charge of it.

Then the
dog is barking at something that moves? A normal protective alert bark?

This is my conclusion. She's always barking *at* something -- she stands
and looks fixedly at some spot, then follows what I assume to be a critter.

If that's it, the dog needs to be taught what she's supposed to bark
at and what not.

That would be perfect. Of course, I can't do that for the neighbors.

I can't figure out why your neighbor doesn't just take the dog in at
night. You're apparently on speaking terms. Insist on that.

I think they are just naive and think that they'll be able to find some
other way to stop the barking. Their muzzle suggestion clued me in that
they really might not know much about dogs. I hope, after they realize
there's no other good option, they'll take her in, instead of asking that I
learn to live with sleep loss =)

thanks,
Ann

Old June 27th 04, 03:39 PM
Ann

Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I appreciate it. I have
lots of information/ideas to share with my neighbors, if they want input.
They and I have a friendly correspondence going over this, which I'm glad
for.

Goodbye,
Ann