How Often Can You Bathe a Puppy?

Old June 30th 04, 02:01 PM
Ryan

Default How Often Can You Bathe a Puppy?

Hi,

We just brought an 8 week old Bichon Frise puppy into our home. When
he arrived last weekend he smelled HORRID and we were told by the
breeder that it was ok to bathe him so we did with tear-free puppy
shampoo and it went well.

It has only been a few days and it's looking like he could use another
washing. Being a white dog, I can see him needing a good bath at least
once a week.

He's our first dog. Is that ok to do? How often can you bathe a
puppy?

Thanks!
Old June 30th 04, 09:39 PM
Jo Wolf

The only white dogs I know that are kept snowey white 24/7 are show
dogs... and they don't get to go out and roll in the yard, or even on
the rug indoors, until they retire.

If you are going to bathe this pup regularly, use the mildest possible
shampoo and use a coat and skin conditioner every time. Bathing removes
the normal and necessary oils. Discuss shampoos and conditioners with a
professional groomer (NOT one who works in a pet supply store grooming
parlor). Also, every time you brush and comb the dog, mist the coat
lightly with either water or conditioner. first. You may also need to
supplement with dietary fatty acids.

Daily brushing and combing will remove much of the daily dust, and
spread out the frequency of bathing.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old June 30th 04, 09:41 PM
DFSeattle

Most dogs don't need a bath more than once a month. Bathing too frequently
can dry out the skin and coat.
Here is a link you might want to see:
http://www.my-dog.info/dog-care/bathing-dog.asp
om...

Old June 30th 04, 11:09 PM
Manadero

From: (Ryan)
Date: 6/30/2004 9:01 AM Eastern Standard Time

When
he arrived last weekend he smelled HORRID and we were told by the
breeder that it was ok to bathe him so we did with tear-free puppy
shampoo and it went well.

I'm sure hoping that the "horrid" smell upon his arrival means he was shipped
and had accidents on the way... I'd hate to think of someone buying a pup from
a breeder that smell horrible

It has only been a few days and it's looking like he could use another
washing. Being a white dog, I can see him needing a good bath at least
once a week.

Once a week may be excessive, but lots of dogs are on weekly or bi weekly
schedules.

The important thing is to find a gentle shampoo formulated for dogs and to
rinse well. Following up with a light conditioner (spritzing over while
brushing is adequate) like The Stuff will help keep mats at bay and will repel
dirt and dust.

Equally as important is finding a good groomer. Start looking NOW. I'd not
suggest a corporate store (PetsMart, Petco) because their grooming staff is
generally slight on experience. Ask your vet, ask friends, call the local
kennel clubs and ask for someone in your area. You want to speak to the person
first (no clips until your pup is vaccinated) and make sure that you are
comfortable with their answers. Don't ask to stay during your pup's groom,
it's too distracting for them (and he'll already be on overload) but it
shouldn't be a problem for you to watch *someone else's* dog being groomed, if
you are curious to see them at work.

You'll want to start mini groomings as soon as your pup has vaccines on board.
He should be regularly groomed after that, by someone that knows what they are
doing (be that you, having been taught, or a professional) every four to six
weeks. If you bathe him at home, be sure to comb him out completely prior to
the bath as bathing a matted dog simply works the mats in deeper and leaves
soap residue (which worsens them)

www.petedge.com has some great products, at very reasonable prices. Their
steel Greyhound comb is under "best buys" right now for $2.99 (you'll want a
couple of these)

Robin