Fear of thunder getting worse

Old June 20th 04, 02:08 PM
sue

Default Fear of thunder getting worse

We adopted a 10 yr old malamute mix 2 yrs ago. In every other way she
is a perfect pet and we love her dearly but her fear of thunder (and
firecrackers and gun shots) is getting worse. She used to hide in the
basement during a thunder storm and that was OK, they don't last that
long. I thought as she became more secure with her surroundings and us
the fear would abate but recently she has expanded her fear to being
afraid of rain and even cloudy days, this is after a string of late
day thunderstorms. She won't leave out of the house in the late
afternoon though I know she must have to go. I feel so sorry for her
and have no idea what to do about it. I took her in the car yesterday
afternoon to an area not far from our house and that seems OK, I guess
she figures there was no thunder there, who knows. I can't take her
for a ride every day that's for sure and I miss our long walks after
dinner.

Can anyone help me and my pupster?