Isn't the world odd?

Old June 30th 04, 10:56 PM
Chris

Default Isn't the world odd?

You think it's only about hurt and death, then, kindness creeps in.
First, one of our volunteers who works for a local paper inserted the
editorial below.
An hour ago, as I was discarding things to leave for New Mexico (and
knowing my old, VW camper will never make it), a guy drives a gleaming
'87 Toyota Dolphin into the drive. "Ask no questions. It's in perfect
condition. Here's my card; if anything ever goes wrong, i've been paid
to fix it."
I know where it came from: a fellow volunteer who we are supposed to
dispise: a 'trophy wife', a woman of such stunning beauty, she chose a
husband from the pages of the Wall Street Journal. It frees her to work
tirelessly for animals. It would have been simple for her to spend
$100k for a luxury motor-home, but she knew I would hate it, so she
spent 4 days, researching, driving, and arranging. That is humbling,
puzzling, and confusing. Just when I had decided the entire human race
is beneath contempt. (That's a joke, too, btw.)
On which birthday does 'the wisdom of age' arrive?
===========================
By MARYANNE DELL
The Orange County Register
Subject line on an e-mail from a friend: "Dog that was dumped at the
agility trial this weekend."
Flier on a telephone pole in an Orange County neighborhood: "Found.
Black
dog. Red collar. Knott Avenue. Call ... ."
Phone call from a friend: "Who do I call? I have a dog that I just saw
get
hit by a car ... ."
Sentence from this week's Pet of the Week: "Max was left behind when his
people moved to a new home."
The e-mail made me sigh.
The flier made me angry.
The phone call and the sentence made me cry.
I don't get it. I just don't. How could someone treat an animal as if it
had no soul? As if it weren't sentient? As if its life didn't matter?
How could you move and just leave your cat behi nd? How could you just
up
and take off without a care or concern that he might wonder, just a
little,
about what the heck happened to the life he knew?
How could you lose your dog and never go looking for her? How could you
care enough, at some point, to buy her a cute little rhinestone collar,
then not care at all?
How could you hit a dog with your car, then just drive away? How could
you
do that and sleep at night?
Of course, I know how. I've been in and around animals and their lives
and
the lives of those who do and don't love them long enough to know.
The cat? His former owners never intended to take him to their new home.
"We'll leave some water and food. There are plenty of people in the
neighborhood. Someone will take him in. And if not, he's a cat. He can
fend
for himself. Cats don't really need people."
The big, black dog with the cute, red rhinestone collar? She was dumped.
There are some kennels in the neighborhood where she was found. I'm sure
her former owners figured something along these lines:
"There are lots of dog lovers there. Someone will take her in and find
her
a good home."
And the dog that was hit by the car? No doubt his former owners didn't
provide a lick of training and they'd long ago grown tired of his
barking,
his digging, his jumping on them when they walked into the yard where he
spent all his days and nights.
No doubt they didn't understand any of this; they didn't comprehend that
dogs left alone dig and bark and jump on people for attention. No doubt
they thought the plastic doghouse that they provided, without a blanket,
rug or even a sheet inside, was sufficient shelter. No doubt they didn't
care when he either jumped or dug his way out of their yard.
I wish I could do something more than just vent about such people. But,
sometimes, venting is all we have. So I, like m any other people who
would
never do any of these things, do what I can to ensure that no animal
that
crosses my path will endure a fate such as this.
Sometimes people ask me why I screen so intensely when I place an animal
in
a home. They want to know why I insist on seeing the home, on talking
with
everyone who lives there and anyone who's a frequent visitor, on going
back
and visiting after the animal has been placed, on keeping in touch. It's
harder to get one of my animals, they say, than to adopt a child.
Exactly. Because I am the last stand. I'm what's between the animal and
any
of the fates described here. I'm that dog's best hope for a future that
won't end in misery or worse.
Animals get dumped all the time. What the dumpers don't understand is
that
there aren't dozens of people lined up to take the animals in.
Those of us who are suckers for fuzzy, homeless faces have houses full
of
fuzzy, once-h omeless, faces - often more than we can afford, or more
than
we should have. Somehow, we make it work.
I don't know what happened to the dog at the agility trial.
Princess, the girl with the cute collar, is safe with a rescue and
she'll
be placed in a home when the right one comes along.
Max will, I hope, find a good home thanks to being featured in Pet of
the
Week.
And the dog who was hit by the car? The young, brindle-shepherd mix
whose
back end wasn't working when my friend stopped, took him off the street
and
drove him to her vet?
He died.
His spine was broken in so many ways, and there was so much internal
damage, the vet told my friend, that he couldn't be put back together.
So
they did the kindest thing they could and sent him on to a better place,
where he could be whole again.
And the only people who cried for him were some total strangers who
didn't
even know his name.
Animals don't lack soul. They have plenty of it. But people? Some of us,
think, have grown so far away from what should be in our souls that we
must
have lost them

Old July 1st 04, 04:23 AM
Cin

I ran over a dog once, I nearly had a mental breakdown. I was driving along
the highway from my high school and this dog just jumped from some bushes. I
stopped in the middle of the road and got out to find him, he got up and got
hit by another 2 cars... He was ok. The owner had him tied up in an unfenced
back yard on a bit of rope.. he got off.

I called the RSPCA and the vets and the dog was being treated ok, so there
was nothing to do for him... I still wonder what happend to him, if he is
still outside or if he got off and got killed by a car.

Cin

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]
Subject line on an e-mail from a friend: "Dog that was dumped at the

Old July 1st 04, 05:09 AM
_michael

Chris wrote:
[...]

Hello Chris Williams,

I have no idea what a Toyota Dolphin is, but I'm
shore it will run fine...

Many of our "regulars" seem to think you have gone KUCKOOO!!!
CUCKOOOO!!!

DING!
DING!
DING! off the DING! deep end

But I'm going to hold off on adding you to the crazy
person list. Because I think the real lunatics in this
world are the people who FAIL to act on their instincts.
The people who don't up and drop everything and leave
for New Mexico when they really get the impulse.

These people are too afraid to make any kind of bold
moves, and they slowly go crazy, bit by bit, year by
year, they waste away...it's a long slow burn. These
are the type of people who will try to talk you out
of any good idea that ever comes into your head. These
people, these crazy people are the footsoldiers, the
very infrastructure of the Matrix.

Go now, to the Wolves. Go East young man, and do look back.

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

WORLD PREMIERE
Tai V Cameraman

===========================
By MARYANNE DELL
The Orange County Register
Subject line on an e-mail from a friend: "Dog that was dumped at the

Old July 1st 04, 09:28 PM
Child

"Chris" wrote in message
You think it's only about hurt and death, then, kindness creeps in.
First, one of our volunteers who works for a local paper inserted the
editorial below.

Hey, now, its not all about hurt and death. I know that you know this - but
you a little off your rocker right now.