training expenses?

Old July 4th 04, 12:00 AM
Marcus

Default training expenses?

I have a 7 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. For the most part he
listens well in the house....but when he is outside with distractions around
him, he doesn't listen to me at all....like I don't exist. I was wondering
what the average costs are for obedience training classes. How long does
obedience training last? After obedience training, I would also like to
eventually get him field trained as well since I do a lot of dove hunting.
What are the average costs of field training and how do I go about finding a
field trainer around my area? Any info you can provide would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!

Old July 4th 04, 02:26 AM
B&S

"Marcus" wrote in message
I have a 7 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. For the most part he
listens well in the house....but when he is outside with distractions

around
him, he doesn't listen to me at all....like I don't exist. I was

wondering
what the average costs are for obedience training classes. How long does
obedience training last? After obedience training, I would also like to
eventually get him field trained as well since I do a lot of dove hunting.
What are the average costs of field training and how do I go about finding

field trainer around my area? Any info you can provide would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Marcus,

Costs of training vary greatly, I assume depending on where you live, but
our local kennel club offers a fairly inexpensive class. Or your local
animal shelter might know a good trainer, too. Unfortunately the "good"
trainer in our area only does dogs adopted from the shelter. But talk to
people before you take you dog to any place for training to find out if you
agree with their training methods. Our dog was a biter as a puppy (as many
are), and the trainer at our kennel club would slam her to the floor and try
to hold her still until she stopped struggling. All it did was make her
worse, and afraid of strangers. Supposedly he was trying to show her he was
the alpha in the group. So check out what you're getting into, to make sure
you agree with the methods.

Our breeder offers field training (and worked a lot of basic obedience
training in there, too), and was always very nice and used soft tones (much
softer than *I* use), but he is relatively expensive. Hubby took our dog
there a half dozen times (and for a week when we went on vacation) and then
just did the rest on his own using the trainer's techniques. Any kind of
training requires a lot of your time... my hubby used to spend at LEAST a
half hour a day outside getting our dog obedience trained (initially) and
now field trained. And she listens to him WAY better than to me... but *I*
didn't put in the time with her.

For field training advice, check out the newsgroup rec.hunting.dogs A
lot of trainers frequent the group and may be able to point you to a decent
trainer in your area. Or ask your breeder, or someone whose dog you admire.

Good luck!

Shelly

Old July 4th 04, 03:53 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Marcus" wrote in message
I have a 7 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. For the most part he
listens well in the house....but when he is outside with distractions

around
him, he doesn't listen to me at all....like I don't exist. I was

wondering
what the average costs are for obedience training classes. How long does
obedience training last?

It really depends on what kind of training, where you go, how much
experience the trainer has, where you are located, and all sorts of things.
I've usually taken classes that were 6 weeks long. The price around here
(PacNW) seems to run between $70-$125, mostly dependent upon
whether it was a "pet manners" based class, or a class specifically
tailored to competition obedience. I currently take weekly semi-privates
with 3 other people/dog teams that run $15 each night. These are
competition oriented classes, given by a very competent and skilled trainer,
and all of the dogs came to class already knowing "The Basics"

After obedience training, I would also like to
eventually get him field trained as well since I do a lot of dove hunting.
What are the average costs of field training and how do I go about finding

field trainer around my area? Any info you can provide would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!

That, I don't know! My parent live next to a man who actually trains "bird
dogs" (he has German Shorthairs himself), and I know my Dad (who has
trained his own dogs for years now) says that "he's expensive" (of course,
that is entirely subjective, based on my Dad's tight pocketbook! :-))
Shelly & The Boys