Scrappy Is Gone

Old October 23rd 03, 04:28 PM
Colleen

Default Scrappy Is Gone

Message 1 of 3 Subject 5 of 50
Subject: Scrappy Is Gone
Date: 10/23/03 9:44 AM Central Daylight Time
From: KauilaPolu
MsgId:

Many of you here might have heard me speak about my little 15 year old
Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier named Scrappy. A little over a year ago he
had surgery on his back knee and since then he went downhill. We
'think' he had a spinal stroke during or after the surgery but in any
case he slowly deteriorated. He went from walking a few steps to
ending-up spending day after day either laying in his little bed or
tumbling about trying to walk again.
This week my sisters and my mother came to Texas to visit. We rented a
cabin on the lake and during that time I finally made the impossible
decision to end Scrappy's miserable dead-end journey through pain and
little endings.
I asked my sisters to do what I could NOT do. I gave Scrappy a
tranquilizer, waited for him to go into a deep, deep doze and told him
our time together on this good earth had been my privilege and
pleasure. My good-bye was bittersweet. Amazingly at the point of
transition between my arms and the loving charge of my sisters there
was simply nothing left to be said. All that I wanted my little friend
to know...he knew. There were no miracles to be had. There were no
promises left to be made. There would be no stone left unturned and no
tricks left in my bag. It was over and we would NOT look back.

Recently I wrote and posted a little piece I wrote for my life-friend
and companion. Please indulge me now and allow me to say these things
for one last time now. Thank you ALL for your loving support in the
past and when the time is right I know God will arrange some lost
little soul to tumble into my life again and at that time, at that
right time...I will begin the sweet journey of love and sharing and
investing in hope and faith yet again. Until then...I will soak what
memories are left of my fleeting time with a little black and white
speck called "Scrappy"...who graced my life with spunk and fire and in
the end...courage beyond words.

If I dragged things on too long old friend...please forgive me for
that, but in the end...I was much less courageous than I ever imagined
and much more greedy than your love deserved. Here is my final Aloha
for a friend that will be a forever angel on my shoulder. I shall miss
him forever.

Colleen

http://community.webshots.com/user/kauilapolu1

"A Black And White Speck In Every Photo Of My Life"

The first time I saw him he amazed me and made me laugh right out
loud. Here was this tiny little dog, a pound and a half and no more
than that, who pranced out to meet me as if he already knew we were
destined to be friends for the rest of his life.
"I'm looking for a dog for my little boy. It's his birthday and he's
been bugging me to buy him a puppy for months."
The owner said the add I was answering was not for this sassy little
dog that was now barking and nipping at my heel, but for an older,
larger dog who sat quietly on a chair.
"How much for the big puppy?" I asked.

"$75.00"

"And how much for this LITTLE one?"

"$175.00"

"Are you kidding me? Why so much for a dog so SMALL?"

The owner simply replied, "Because he is SPECIAL."

I asked if the two puppies were brothers and they said 'no'. Seems the
tiny one was an only child and the bigger one just the last of a
litter that was quickly sold.

Although it would clean out my bank account I decided to buy the
little dog, for reasons that escaped me then. I could not have known
how much love this little puppy would give me. I would not notice
where life without him would blend into a long memory of events that
would always include a spot in every picture for a tiny little dog, no
bigger than a black and white speck, dotting every day, every page and
every chapter of 15 years of life.

Scrappy came home with me on that long ago day ready to bless the
lives of all who would love him. He would stun us with antics reserved
for dogs much larger, much wiser. His personality was fearless and his
loyalty was daunting. For fifteen years this little dog has followed
me thousands of miles, watched children become grown-ups, and
witnessed them move on into lives of their own. This little dog and I
are what is left of a family that time and life have splintered and
separated.

Now this little dog is facing the end of his life. He can no longer
tackle life like a giant. He can no longer run into wind and leap over
fences. He is too lame to play and too weak to follow me.

Most who see him don't see what I know. I know he is more than a
worn-out little black and white spec of a dog. I know things that
would amaze them all.

There is so much I wish I could tell my old friend. I wish I could
tell him what a pleasure his friendship has been. I wish I could tell
him what a blessing he has been and how many ways his presence in my
life has added texture and color and content to events that would have
been so much more ordinary without him.

Maybe he knows all that. Maybe he understands all the unsaid things
that I will never get around to saying. I hope so. I hope he knows
that my life will never be the same without him and that when he
leaves I will miss him forever.

Every picture snapped from my life from this point on will be missing
a spot reserved for a tiny black and white speck that will be where
Scrappy should be standing.

Friends that have shared a journey this long should have a happier
ending to their story shouldn't they? But life never promised a last
chapter like that. Still, knowing the ending would be cruel and hard
would not make me wish I could have had it any other way.
Old October 23rd 03, 04:47 PM
Sg

What a beautiful eulogy to your little dog!
May your heart heal quickly and find love with another.

om...

Old October 23rd 03, 04:47 PM
Sg

What a beautiful eulogy to your little dog!
May your heart heal quickly and find love with another.

om...

Old October 23rd 03, 09:07 PM
rmm7e

Colleen wrote:

I finally made the impossible
decision to end Scrappy's miserable dead-end journey through pain

Colleen, I'm so sorry.

--Regina

Old October 23rd 03, 09:55 PM
Simone

My heart goes out to you. I read your story with tears. I too cannot
imagine my life without Tiffany, she's been through so much with me
these last 12 years.

"Sg" wrote in message news:tKSlb.9273$e01.21186@attbi_s02...
What a beautiful eulogy to your little dog!
May your heart heal quickly and find love with another.

om...

Old October 23rd 03, 10:24 PM
Evelyn Usher

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about Scrappy. We only do what we can. I hope you
can find it in your heart to have another little one soon.
--
Evelyn

Old October 24th 03, 12:04 AM
buglady

"Colleen" wrote in message
om...
I finally made the impossible
decision to end Scrappy's miserable dead-end journey through pain and
little endings.

........I'm so sorry Colleen. It's never an easy decision, but one that
sometimes must be made to be a true friend to our faithful companions.

My condolences,
buglady
take out the dog before replying