How to desensitize VERY sound sensitive dog?

Old July 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Tracy Custer

Default How to desensitize VERY sound sensitive dog?

Hi, all, I am an often lurker, sometimes poster, with a very sound
sensitive foster dog. I am looking for any suggestions on possible ways
to help this poor girl over her extreme fear of noise, specifically
fireworks, gunfire, and thunder. Melee is a 1 yr old ACD female, has
been with us about 3 weeks and is generally a very high energy girl, and
is confident and well adjusted in most situations. The sound fear just
became known to us over the 4th of July celebrations. She heard the
local fireworks and bolted through the gate, luckily she headed straight
for the car and hid underneath it until we found her. Today, while
playing frisbee at the dog park, she heard nearby gunshots and
immediately became so nervous and distracted, cowering near the gate.
Can a dog with this extreme of a sound fear be desensitized enough to at
least be around these types of noises? Perhaps slowly acclimating her
to increasing levels of the noise at very far distances, etc? It is a
safety issue for her, as I am afraid any such noise may cause her to
bolt and become lost, run into traffic, etc. This is a new behavior
problem for me; any advice greatly appreciated!

Tracy

EAT, SLEEP, DISC-DOG!

http://www.flyingk9s.com

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...USTERGRUBPAGE0

Old July 12th 04, 05:32 AM
Jo Wolf

Tracy, see my posts under the current thread titled "Fireworks" or
"FIrecrackers"

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 20th 04, 07:22 AM
Dan Moore

Tracy,

What worked for me, in just one storm, was to praise the dog after each clap
of thunder, telling him he's a Good Dog! This is an almost 13 year old
Doberman, BTW. The next time it thundered, he did not even react at
all--you could not tell it was the same dog as before.
There was more thunder just the other day, and same thing, nada, nothing,
zilch, no cowering, whimpering, trying to hide at all, it was that simple.

I got this idea from Jerry Howe, who might seem to be a "wild and crazy"
character, but his non-abusive way of handling dogs WORKS. Wonderfully.
Praise. It's that simple.

Juanita