Dog shreds newspaper/paperwork.. Ideas to stop habbit?

Old July 7th 04, 12:45 AM

Default Dog shreds newspaper/paperwork.. Ideas to stop habbit?

OK the best idea is to PUT ALL PAPER AWAY AT ALL TIMES!

But I am tired of myself or others forgetting just ONCE to put it away
and Izzy finding it. Taking it down and litterally shreding it. Shes
an inside dog. 14 mos old female spayed Lab/Husky/Shepard mix.

She really only goes on a paper shredding search when we are gone for
more than about 2 hours. She has amazed us in her ability to locate
any paper items. Finds them in places we would never think of. I am
trying to find a humane solution to the problem. It pains me to
discipline her because she is very emotional dog. Its hard to catch
her doing it as she runs to the door when we get home and pulls a dino
on us. I believe its the same emotions she has of sensitivity and she
gets frustrated when we are gone. Today she located a title that had
been mailed to me for a car I bought out of state. My g/f set it on
the table. Izzy found it and you guessed it. SHREDDED IT TO NOTHING!
As upset as I am.. The title can be replaced. A good dog cannot. She
has no other real bad habbits. I am on the virge of having to either
leave her outside all day(its hot here in Texas though) or Kennel her
in the house. I rather not do this. I have a nice sized fenced
backyard. Perhaps I can make her comfortable enough during the day to
put her out. I just hate leaving her out all day getting hot and
fleas. Guess its just part of having an indoor/outdoor dog.

An idea I had was to purposely put out paper in places she normally
grabs. Coat it in something that tastes REALLY BAD but will not harm
her. Then perhaps she will go back to find her rawhide to take out her
frustrations. Well I hope thats right. Hopefully she would not find
the furniture next heh. I love this dog a lot. Any help appreciated!

-Nate