ADVANTIX side effect question.

Old October 25th 03, 03:09 AM
jim weibel

Default ADVANTIX side effect question.

I have two terrier lhaso mix dogs which I have used "Advantage" flea
prevention medicine on for the previous four years with no problems and
great results. This year my Vet recommended "Advantix" (new and
improved product?) but both dogs seem to be experiencing discomfort
after application. One dog wants to lay on his back and slide along as
though his back was itching or something. The other dog, approximately a
week after application seems to have slight problems walking. He
appears to want to "dogtrack" sidewinder style some and does not seem as
sure on his feet as before.
My question is: Has anybody experienced any such problems or have any
knowledge about this sort of thing.
Thank you all,
Jim W.

Old October 25th 03, 04:24 AM
Jo Wolf

Jim, I don't work in a vet clinic where I'd see/hear of problems like
you describe, but I do work with over 80 dogs per week in obedience
classes. So far, no one has had observations or complaints such as
yours since Advantix started being used here last spring. So I'd
venture to say that, based on educated guesses.... The rolling Might
have something to do with the application. The change in gait probably
is coincedental... and caused by something else. Discuss with your vet,
but don't be surprised if he tells you to bring the dog in when it's
happening... because he/she probably has not seen either. one.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 25th 03, 11:17 AM
buglady

"jim weibel" wrote in message
I have two terrier lhaso mix dogs which I have used "Advantage" flea
prevention medicine on for the previous four years with no problems and
great results. This year my Vet recommended "Advantix" (new and
improved product?)

...........If you don't have problems with ticks, but only fleas, there's no
reason to use this new product.
http://www.k9advantix.com/About-K9-Advantix.asp

The other dog, approximately a
week after application seems to have slight problems walking.

......There's no way to know what the side effects are for some dogs as this
product is new. Some animals are more sensitive to permethrin (pyrethroid
compounds). I'd get this dog checked out at the vet. Permethrin can cause
ataxia, especially in cats, but it should be a temporary symptom and
usually only occurs at higher doses.

http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...in/cox-report/
cox.htm
http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/permethr.htm
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=130

I think besides getting the skeletal system evaluated on this pup, I'd get
a complete blood panel run. Permethrin breakdown is through the liver and
if this dog's liver is in trouble, perhaps that is part of the equation.
OTOH, this could just be a coincidence and the dog's troubles have nothing
to do with the application of Advantix.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 25th 03, 05:16 PM
Sharon too

Call Bayer directly. The number should be on the Advantix box. They have
techs there that can answer specific questions as they relate to their
product. The one and only side effect we've seen at our practice from
Advantix was on our receptionist's dog (go figure). She was antsy for a
couple days and wanted to rub her back against things. Receptionist called
Bayer and they were extremely helpful. Told to give dog a bath - some dogs
are sensitive to..... can't remember now. Anyway, they ended up refunding
her expense by substituting the flea product of her choice.

Otherwise of the many, many patients we have on this product we've had no
other bad effects that we know of. Frontline, Advantage-tix, Revolution....
what did we do before??!!

-Sharon
-Sharon