Okay, analyze this one...

Old July 21st 04, 08:18 AM
Jo Wolf

Default Okay, analyze this one...

My dogs are crazy... and driving me crazier than usual this summer.
With a strange new behavior. Border Terriers, male, 11yo neutered, 7yo
intact, 16month old intact. Get along great.. .can be safely penned or
crated together in any combination. Normal grooming is plucking
(stripping) the hard outer coat, leaving the short soft under coat...
about twice a year or roll it for show.

I am used to "normal" mutual grooming with these guys... face scrubbing,
teeth-and-tonsil cleaning, nibbling, scrubbing or other body parts.
It's just a given with Borders.

Late this spring, Artie, the youngster, started grabbing tufts of hair
on Schroeder's (11yo) back and pulling it out!!! I'd intervene as soon
as I saw it, but it crops up now and then. Schroeder doesn't seem to
mind, but he's ultra submissive.

So, last night when I was reading in bed, lo and behold, there was
Louie, the 7yo, engaged in stripping Schroeder. First time I've seen
him doing it. Called it to a halt and Louie wandered off to another
area of the bed.

The skin underneath is normal... undercoat is now rubbed out by
Schroeder's hobby of rolling on his back (since he was a baby....). His
other hobby is long distance crawling... any surface except
pebbles/crushed rock.

So any guess about WHY Artie and Louie are doing this? Note that
Schroeder does not strip either of them, but does the other grooming
activities. I have never seen it done by dogs before, and have not
heard of it from other Border T owners.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 21st 04, 10:02 PM
Jo Wolf

Terri.... He lets the GEESE preen him? Now THERE is a weird
activity.... VBG!!!!!!!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 21st 04, 11:18 PM
Sherr

Jo Wolf wrote:
Late this spring, Artie, the youngster, started grabbing tufts of hair
on Schroeder's (11yo) back and pulling it out!!! I'd intervene as
soon as I saw it, but it crops up now and then. Schroeder doesn't
seem to mind, but he's ultra submissive.

Jo

Have you changed what you bathe them with? I've 2 got little male Yorkies
- they were going to the groomer every 3 weeks for almost a year, everything
was fine. Then this spring Pip, the younger one, started doing the same
thing to Junior. Obsessively the day they were groomed. Every single time.
All day long. It was making me crazy and poor Junior too.

I took my Brussels Griffon to the groomer to be shaved - hand stripping is
not me,
Pip did exactly the same thing to Beau.

I started grooming the boys myself and have not had this
happen since. I can only assume that the groomer changed
products and it made Pip crazy.

Sherr

---