help with socializing an older dog

Old August 9th 04, 02:00 PM
bill

Default help with socializing an older dog

Well, I'm sure the problem is that he hasn't been socialized properly.
And assuming that is the problem, what can I do to help? I guess
finding a trainer would be number one? Suggestions for finding a good
trainer?

But there must be something else that *I* can do? Is there a book
that I might read that could help? Anything else?

Old August 9th 04, 02:49 PM
Leah

(bill) wrote:
I guess
finding a trainer would be number one? Suggestions for finding a good
trainer?

I'd ask around for a good behaviorist savvy in aggression issues. Ask vets, go
to dog parks or PetsMarts and ask people, etc. I'd also question the
trainer/behaviorist to ensure positive reinforcement methods are used.

But there must be something else that *I* can do? Is there a book
that I might read that could help? Anything else?

Books that can really help you understand and read dog behavior:

"Culture Clash" - Jean Donaldson
"The Other End of the Leash" - Patricia McConnell
"Bones Would Rain From the Sky" - Suzanne Clothier
"The Good Little Dog Book" - Ian Dunbar

And here's a pretty safe exercise you could try.

Go somewhere you know you're going to run into other dogs, but you can maintain
a steady distance. For example, get a chair and park it outside of PetsMart.
Sit where your dog can see other dogs going in and out of the store, but far
enough away that he feels secure and doesn't act out. If you see anybody with
their dog coming in your direction, sing out, "My dog has aggression issues."
They'll avoid you. :}

Your goal is going to be to teach your dog that every time he sees another dog,
something good is going to happen. So as soon as he notices another dog, you
begin to praise like mad and stuff his face with hot dogs (a special treat).
When the dog is out of sight, the praise and treats stop.

The next time, you sit a few inches closer to the other dogs. Do the same
thing.

The next time, a few inches closer. Rinse and repeat.

If at any time the dog begins to act out, move back a few inches and go more
slowly. Look for improvement, not 100% compliance.

The closer you get to the other dogs, though, the more beneficial it will be to
get a trainer to help you. If your dog has a bad experience with another dog
at this point, it could do more harm than good.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html