Car Sickness

Old July 15th 03, 01:21 PM
CaptRon

Default Car Sickness

Ive got another question.. Cypher gets VERY car sick, worse if he is
excited. Is there anything that will ease this? We've tried conditioning
him with short rides, gradually going longer, but 15 minutes is about his
limit.
We've done the "no food or drink for 3 hours" and on the vets advise, tried
four. All that did was make him not throw up food - instead it was a
watery yellow foul smelling liquid (vet said maybe bile). It was worse
that the food.
The problem is, we will hopefully be moving back to Florida soon. And Im
in terror of a 2 day drive with him. Suggestions have been tranquilizers,
but dont want to have him zoned out for 2 days. Plus, in the back of the
truck I wouldnt be able to keep an eye on him. Suggestion 2 was put him in
the back of the u-haul truck. Someone suggested leaving him at the pound
(Coz, you know they try to get all the labs into rescue).
the vet said that the only option he knew of was tranquilizers, which would
keep him calm and probably keep him from being sick.. But, as this is a
totally backwards place, I wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.
Dramamine for dogs?

dainerra

- this place is sooo backwards even the lady at the pound was amazed that I
planned to keep a dog in the house. Not to mention that "but, he's going
to be a big dog" comment from the vet tech at the OLD clinic.

Old July 15th 03, 01:37 PM
Suja

CaptRon wrote:
the vet said that the only option he knew of was tranquilizers, which would
keep him calm and probably keep him from being sick.. But, as this is a
totally backwards place, I wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.
Dramamine for dogs?

Here is what I found:
http://www.delcospca.org/carsick.html
http://www.petsmart.com/pet_library/...sickness.shtml
http://www.sfgsrescue.org/Articles/CarSick.html

A friend of mine has a carsick dog, and recently moved from the DC
suburbs to Florida. The dog had to be sedated on the journey, and came
through it just fine.

Suja
Old July 15th 03, 01:53 PM
CaptRon

"Suja" wrote in message
Here is what I found:
http://www.delcospca.org/carsick.html
http://www.petsmart.com/pet_library/...sickness.shtml
http://www.sfgsrescue.org/Articles/CarSick.html

A friend of mine has a carsick dog, and recently moved from the DC
suburbs to Florida. The dog had to be sedated on the journey, and came
through it just fine.

thanks for the quick advice. I just dont have a lot of faith in the vets
around here. My mother, who has completely refused to listen to me, has a
small terrier mix that is chained 24/7. Dog sees people a couple times a
day, mostly as they walk by on their way somewhere else. He is also fed
table scraps, his entire 3 year life. (Not to mention that they eat the
hillbilly everything drenched in fat style of food)

Anyway, she took him to the vet because he had a LARGE bleeding tumor under
his tail. The vet cut it off, said not to worry about it.. And then
proceded to tell her how healthy he was!! The dog gets off his chain about
1-2 times a month and promptly disappears for 2 days before coming home, so
he doesnt exercise. Add in the high fat super greasy diet and the poor
thing looks like a barrel with legs. The vet told her (and lectured me)
that table scaps are a thousand times healthier than processed food. And
then went into a discussion with her that Cypher (my dog) is too skinny and
I should start feeding him from the table instead of "wasting my money" He
refused to believe that all dog food isnt made of "corn and chemicals"
Right now we arent able to feed the highest quality food, but the #1
ingredient is lamb, #2 is rice and I wasnt doing well in containing my
temper. He wanted me to bring in Cypher so that he could evaluate how much
weight he needed to gain as "from the description" he is grossly
underweight. You can barely feel his ribs and he "tucks up"? in the rear.
My vet said he is about the perfect weight and has a good build.

ACK! Ive never been soo disguisted in my life. And have now lost all hope
of getting my mother to change and take better care of her pets.

Sorry about the rant.. But my mother and I have been having this argument
since April. no feeding from the table, getting his shots!!, keeping him
in the house instead of chained.. And now there is no chance of ever
changing her mind.

dainerra

Old July 15th 03, 02:14 PM
Arcury

I moved from NC to MO with my collie and cat. I spent 2 days for this drive.
My dog was just like yours. She would through up in 10 minuets and very
hesitate getting in the car. Couple months before moving, I took her to the
park when ever I had chance which was 10 minuets driving one way. That gave
her fun experience riding the car (every dog loves park).
Night before moving, I fed her just can food because I thought it digest
quicker and easier than dry food. I held her breakfast, then 30 minuets
before driving I gave her one soft gel of Benadryl (yes allergy relief that
you can buy at the store)
Yes, she slept most of the time in the car. I stopped more often than I
normally do to give her fresh air. Good luck to your moving.

Old July 15th 03, 04:46 PM
Tara O.

"CaptRon" wrote in message
link.net...

"Tara O." wrote in message
If you're going to put him in the back of a truck for a 2 day drive on
interstate where the speeds get pretty fast, I sincerely hope you intend

have him in a crate that is secured to the truck bed. Use valium for

the
trip. You may not like him zoned or sleepy but think about him. Which

is
better? Being out of it during a stressful time or being 100% aware of

the
stress and being sick?

no, never intended to put him in the "back of the truck" the suggestion
from a neighbor was to lock him in the back of the uhaul.
He will be riding in his crate in the back of our blazer.

my only concern was that he would have a bad reaction to the

tranquilizers.

Gotcha. I wouldn't do the back of the Uhaul because it won't be cool enough
for him....no air-flow and probably not climate controlled. You can ask
your vet about the valium and give him one before you move to see if he has
a negative reaction to it. I've known dogs who are sedated for car rides
and have never heard of any reacting badly to the drug but trying it out
beforehand wouldn't hurt.

--
Tara

Old July 15th 03, 04:59 PM
Rocky

CaptRon said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Ive got another question.. Cypher gets VERY car sick,
worse if he is excited. Is there anything that will ease
this?

The vet has suggested Gravol (aka Dramamine) for my parents' dog
in the past, half the human dose for a medium/large dog.

Old July 15th 03, 05:06 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Rocky wrote in

The vet has suggested Gravol (aka Dramamine) for my parents' dog
in the past, half the human dose for a medium/large dog.

When my brother drove from Thunder bay to Ottawa (16 hours solid driving)
his vet also suggested gravol. Don't remember the dose, but it put the dog
right out.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Never send a monster to do the work
of an evil scientist.'

Old July 15th 03, 05:45 PM
Kathleen

CaptRon wrote:

"Tara O." wrote in message

If you're going to put him in the back of a truck for a 2 day drive on
interstate where the speeds get pretty fast, I sincerely hope you intend

have him in a crate that is secured to the truck bed. Use valium for the
trip. You may not like him zoned or sleepy but think about him. Which

is

better? Being out of it during a stressful time or being 100% aware of

the

stress and being sick?

no, never intended to put him in the "back of the truck" the suggestion
from a neighbor was to lock him in the back of the uhaul.
He will be riding in his crate in the back of our blazer.

my only concern was that he would have a bad reaction to the tranquilizers.

I'd suggest buying a couple of waterproof crib sheets. Cut them down to
fit the floor of his crate. If he gets sick, just roll the sheet up,
stick it into a trash bag and tie it off, to be dealt with when you have
access to a hose and laundry facilities.

Kathleen

Old July 20th 03, 03:54 PM
Robin

"CaptRon" wrote in message
link.net...
Sorry about the rant.. But my mother and I have been having this argument
since April. no feeding from the table, getting his shots!!, keeping him
in the house instead of chained.. And now there is no chance of ever
changing her mind.

dainerra

Where is this hillbilly hellhole that you will be leaving?

Robin