patches of hair missing

Old October 27th 03, 05:21 PM
AlexH

Default patches of hair missing

Hi:

I am a relatively new dog owner. I adopted a 2 year old chocolate lab that
has developed, over the past month or so, 3 patches of missing hair on his
head, and one on his leg. At first, I thought he just scratched himself so
hard that the hair came out, but there does not seem to be any trauma
(from scratching). Does anyone have any ideas what this could be ? Each
patch is about the size of a dime or smaller, with no symmetry. The hair
follicles look like they are simply "missing".

-alex
Old October 27th 03, 05:48 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, AlexH wrote:

Each patch is about the size of a dime or smaller, with no
symmetry. The hair follicles look like they are simply
"missing".

could be ring-worm. i suggest taking him to the vet to have
it looked at. if it *is* ring-worm, the vet can give you a
topical medication for it. ring-worm is contagious and can be
spread to humans. it's not painful or serious, but it can be
a pain in the neck to get rid of. keep an eye out for
reddish, itchy, scaly patches. if you get it, you can get a
topical for yourself from your doctor.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old October 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Chris

Hello,
Sounds to me like mites or toxins. Check this site for more information.
www.caninemedicinechest.com
Bob

Old October 29th 03, 02:55 AM
Jo Wolf

Forget the dealer in nostrums. This is one for your VET!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 29th 03, 02:55 AM
Jo Wolf

Old October 29th 03, 03:25 AM

Chris wrote:
Hello,
Sounds to me like mites or toxins. Check this site for more information.
www.caninemedicinechest.com

Just so we're clear on who this person is and their business
and professional standing:
http://www.iowaattorneygeneral.org/l..._Medicine.html

"Court Prohibits Sales by "Pet Medicine Chest" -- and
Imposes $1.2 Million Penalty [ ... ] Attorney General's suit
alleged that the western Iowa business makes false claims
and uses unapproved ingredients in Internet sale of pet
medicines and supplements."

That is to say, these people have been permanently enjoined
by the courts from peddling their wares and are advertising
here in violation of that injunction. They've already been
fined over $1,000,000 by the state of Iowa for violations of
the Consumer Fraud Act.

The image is Adam Smith. The reality is Enron -- Joseph Stiglitz