Very, VERY, shy dog

Old July 8th 04, 07:05 PM
He who loves harmonicas

Default Very, VERY, shy dog

Mondays through Fridays I pop over to the local animal shelter and
help walk dogs. A few weeks ago 3 dachshund mix dogs were brought in.
One appears to be the mother to the other 2. One of dachshund kids
has already been adopted. The mother and 8 month old girl are still in
the shelter.

It's the 8 month old girl that is the concern. She (Candy - as named
at the shelter) is very shy. Her fear of humans is the worst I have
ever seen. They've kept mom and Candy together. There was no way she
would come to the door so as to put a lead on her to take her out. So
twice I have stepped into the kennel and gently put the lead on her
and then carried her out of the kennel. Once out she wants to
immediately go back to her kennel. But I persist and she haunches
down and looks like a catepillar as she walks with me. I persist in
her coming with me. It took a couple of very limited pulls but she
does come.

Once outside she is still very shy. You can tell she is very nervous.
Candy pants very hard. She wants to be as far from me as possible.
I use one of those retracting leashes that is about 26 feet long, and
she uses the full length of the leash. Twice during the walk I will
urge her to me. Only as close as I can just barely touch her, but I
thought it would be a good idea to give her a very light feel of human
touch. Then I let her take the full length of the leash again. All
the time she is outside is very scared. We walk about a fifty yards
and then return her to the kennel, where she is once again very happy
to be with her mom (assumed).

This shelter works very hard not to euthanize animals, unfortunately
it does occur. I think the odds of someone adopting Candy when she is
this shy is very low.

Naturally the noise level from barking dogs is not helping the
situation. However my wife and I are full up with animals at home,
and can't foster another.

I'm looking for an appropriate treatment plan to use with Candy to see
if some of her shyness can be alleviated. Otherwise at some point in
time if she isn't adopted the inevitable will occur.

Thank you,

Jim