Simple treatment for mange.

Old October 27th 03, 06:58 PM
Zotin Khuma

Default Simple treatment for mange.

Hi,
Would anyone like to hear about my experience with a treatment for
mange that I've found to be simple, safe, non-distressing, cheap and
effective, at least for my dog ? (If you do, please expect a long
post).

-Zotin

Old November 5th 03, 05:15 PM
Zotin Khuma

(Zotin Khuma) wrote in message . com...
Hi,
Would anyone like to hear about my experience with a treatment for
mange that I've found to be simple, safe, non-distressing, cheap and
effective, at least for my dog ? (If you do, please expect a long
post).

-Zotin

To those who emailed me or responded to my first post, my apologies
for the long silence. At first interest seemed to be lukewarm, and
then I was too busy to visit NGs for a week. Anyway, this isn't about
some miracle cure that I invented myself, but rather about a readymade
medication that I found to be very effective, and some that were not.

I'd like to explain first that I live in a place where the system of
animal care is much less sophisticated than in the US and other
advanced countries. Attempts to enforce pet control are half-hearted
and sporadic. Dogs are generally free to roam, seek out a bitch in
heat, and in the process pass on mange and lice to each other.

My dog contracted a severe case of sarcoptic mange on his lower back
from a neighbour's dog, but it cleared up quickly after two doses of
Ivermectin injection. The bald patch became overgrown and his coat
took on a healthy sheen again. Then two months later, it showed up
again and had become resistant to Ivermectin. It had no effect
whatsoever. The vet prescribed a five-day course of daily Gentamycin
injection (with antihistamine) which was obviously very painful, but
this barely halted the rapid spread of the disease. It made life
miserable for Pimpom and the intense itching made him bite the area,
nearly palm-sized by then, until it was almost constantly raw and
bleeding. It tormented him to the point where he'd jump up during a
meal, whining and savagely chewing his back.

I wanted to try gamma benzene hexachloride which is very effective in
scabies, the human form of mange, but this is supposed to be highly
toxic if ingested or absorbed through broken skin.

Then a friend suggested trying herbal medicine. What I chose to try
out was a commercial product called "HSD Ointment", a mixture of
traditional Indian herbal extracts (as in India, not native American),
made with modern manufacturing methods as a paste in a squeeze tube. I
applied it once and then was too busy for the next three days to
follow up. But the next day, the affected area somehow looked better
and the itching appeared to be less intense. On the fourth day, I
applied another dose, and never had to do it again. The infection (or
infestation or whatever) cleared up completely and never showed up
again. Skin and hair returned to their normal conditions.

The medication apparently does not sting or irritate. On the contrary,
it seemed to have an immediate soothing effect, and as far as I can
tell, it has no side effects at all. It does not stain and does not
even smell strongly, but gives off a faint, not-unpleasant aroma
somewhat like shoe polish.

That was two years ago, and Pimpom died later from another cause.
Recently, his 18-month old grandson PJ contracted mange, this time
with what looks like red or demodectic mange (no professional
confirmation). The two small spots didn't seem eager to spread and
apparently don't itch very much, but after two weeks, they showed no
sign of clearing up either. I applied povidone iodine and sometimes
Neosporin for the secondary bacterial infection, but it kept coming
back. So I applied the same ointment the day before I posted the first
message. The next day, was it my imagination or did it look better
already ? Then I was out of circulation from the pet world for a week.

Today, one of the affected spots look completely healed, a small, bald
but healthy-looking patch. The other one, on his front leg, hasn't
done as well. But please remember that I've applied the ointment only
once so far. Trouble is, he licks it clean as soon as he realises that
there's something on it. I applied it while he was distracted and the
fact that he didn't notice it until after 10 minutes or so is another
indication that the medication is non-irritating.

I'll probably have to bandage the leg when I apply another dose
tomorrow, but he's an energetic playful fellow with strong teeth, and
will probably tear up the bandage within 15 minutes.

For those who want to know, the preparation comes in a 50-gram tube
(enough for a dozen or more applications depending on the size of the
affected area) which costs the equivalent of about 60 US cents in
India. The ingredients are herbal extracts with traditional Indian
names which are as alien to me as they would be to you. I can't say
how well it will work for others, but it did wonders for me - and my
dog of course

Old November 24th 03, 01:58 AM
Elizabeth Naime

Zotin, thanks! I, like some others who asked, have a breed in which
ivermectin sensitivity is a concern. While I hope sarcops never makes an
appearance in my household, if it does I may be treating it without
ivermectin and I'll take all the help I can get.

Could you please list the ingredients? They may be gobbledegook now, but
interested parties could attempt to translate them, perhaps through a
herbalist newsgroup or web site. I'm interested to know what herbal
extracts are involved, and it can be important to know what exactly is
in an over-the-counter remedy (including herbal ones) to make sure it
won't interfere with other medications the dog is getting, and
vice-versa.

Only know that there is no spork.

Old November 30th 03, 05:57 AM
Zotin Khuma

Elizabeth Naime wrote in message . ..
Zotin, thanks! I, like some others who asked, have a breed in which
ivermectin sensitivity is a concern. While I hope sarcops never makes an
appearance in my household, if it does I may be treating it without
ivermectin and I'll take all the help I can get.

Could you please list the ingredients? They may be gobbledegook now, but
interested parties could attempt to translate them, perhaps through a
herbalist newsgroup or web site. I'm interested to know what herbal
extracts are involved, and it can be important to know what exactly is
in an over-the-counter remedy (including herbal ones) to make sure it
won't interfere with other medications the dog is getting, and
vice-versa.

Only know that there is no spork.

Ingredients of "HSD Ointment" :

Piyamard (Melia Aadirachta) 13.33%
Mussabar (Aloe Vera) 13.33%
Sitabra (Anona Squamosa) 13.33%
Cream base q.s.

I should have read the names more carefully and seen that scientific
Latin names are also given along with the Indian names. Like millions
of other members of minority races in India, I know perhaps a dozen
words in Hindi, the majority language. When I glanced at the
unfamiliar names earlier, I assumed that they were all in Hindi. A
quick research turned up the following (you may already know about
some or all of them) :

1. Aadirachta is probably a variant or misspelling of Azadirachta
which is commonly called "neem" in India. Though these trees are not
native to my state, I have several of them growing in my front and
back yards. The leaves have a clear bitter taste which some people
like either alone or as flavouring for other foods. It's also said to
be good for lowering blood sugar levels in diabetics. I think plains
Indians use them as insect repellants.

2. Aloe vera is a popular pot plant whose juice is used in cosmetics
and medicine.

3. Anona (Annona) squamosa is the tree of the edible custard apple.

-Zotin