Need help w/ IG puppies

Old August 18th 04, 12:13 AM
Heather

Default Need help w/ IG puppies

Thanks in advance for your time and help....

Two weeks ago I adopted a 5-6 month old female IG (italian greyhound)
from a rescue organization. "Lacy" had not been fed by her former
'owners' for some weeks when the foster home got her, only 2 days
prior to my adopting her. She has been great with clicker training,
although housebreaking is a work in process. She has put on some
weight, and is quite eager to please (and cuddle).

This past Monday I found out that she had a littermate, another
female. The foster family had wanted to keep her but changed their
minds. I could not help adopting "Mindy" last night.

Having had some experience as a Veterinary Technician, I sense a real
anxiety problem with Mindy. She whines LOUDLY if I am out of sight,
or the two minutes I tried crating her. So she's probably got
Separation Anxiety, but I think I can work on that. It's these few
other situations that have come up today while I've been with them....

Mindy is highly aggressive at feeding time towards Lacy (who is
smaller). Obviously some dominant behavior... should I feed them
separately or should I let them sort it out so that they'll know.
Mindy is also very hyper, and I have pergo (laminate flooring) all
over the lower level of my house. They play and chase each other
alot, sliding all over. I have read that IG's legs are sensitive,
should I stop them from sliding? Is there anything about raising
siblings together, espescially females, that I should know about?

Any general advice would be great in addition...

Heather
Lacy, Mindy