Dog aggressive in kennel

Old July 19th 04, 02:27 AM
Trey Thrasher

Default Dog aggressive in kennel

I have a six-year-old neutered Doberman. We keep him inside. When we leave
the house, we keep him in a kennel in our bedroom. When we go on vacations,
we have a pet sitter (that is her full time job) come-by the house to let
him out to the yard, feed him etc. We have had the same pet sitter for his
entire life. A couple of months ago our dog acted aggressively when the
sitter came to let him out of his kennel immediately after the pet sitter
let him, our dog bit her. Although the bite was not serious, it rattled her
enough that she has informed us that she will no longer sit our dog.

After our sitter quit, my wife and I had the idea that we might enlist our
babysitter to both house sit and dog sit when we are gone. Our dog is
usually out when she sits and she is comfortable being around our dog. We
are now concerned that Plan B will not work. On Friday, our babysitter was
bringing our children home from school and attempted to let our dog out of
his kennel. Our dog acted aggressively and she left the room and returned
with our dogs favorite treat but he still acted aggressively. Ultimately,
she had our 6-year-old child let the dog out. Our dog acted fine after
being released from his kennel but we are concerned about her being able to
release him from his kennel without a family member present to help.

Any ideas on how to correct his behaviour? I had an idea to get another
kennel to keep him in during vacations and to keep him in another room (my
thought was that he might not be as territorial about another kennel in
another room). Kenneling him outside of our home does not work very well,
we have done it on two occasions and apparently our dog barked the ENTIRE
TIME WE WERE GONE.