Barking Dog

Old August 6th 04, 10:05 AM
Nick

Default Barking Dog

Unfortunately my Dog has to stay home by himself 3 days a week, 9-5 while my
wife and I goto work. This is a Monday, Thursday and a Friday (wife works
part time). My mother-in-law use to look after him but due to bad health now
can't. She does look after him when we go out weekends or at night she just
can't do full day.

He's (Smudge) a westie cross terrior and 1 year old and been home alone 3
days a week for 2 months now, I feel really guilty leaving him, but I must
admit many dogs are home alone all day. We always make sure Smudge has
water, toys and his bed and the radio on, also making sure he has got enough
cool air if's it hot, we left the fan on for him today as we have a rare day
of sun in the UK. We also regularly buy him new bone's to chew when we are
away. He is very loved and very spoilt.

Problem being is we have been getting complaints from neighbours that Smudge
is barking for the first hour of us leaving. He has the run of the kitchen
and bathroom which is quite a large space. I looked it up on the net and
took him for a longish walk this morning (usually gets long walk at night)
throwing his ball etc and also we left a piece of clothing recently worn by
one of us, as internet suggested this. When we come home puppy get's very
excited and internet suggests ignoring him for 5 minutes on our return. We
can't give him the run of the house as Smudge has the habit of chewing wires
(he chew through my speaker wires the other day) and chewing on furniture,
not when we are there but when we are away.

Has anyone got any other idea's please, I know it's not the best situation
to leaving him home but I want him to be as happy as he can be about it.

Dog Barking Problem A.L Dog behavior 0 January 19th 04 07:26 AM
Dog Barking Problem A.L Dog behavior 0 January 19th 04 07:26 AM
barking training Montgomery Farr Dog behavior 27 January 10th 04 01:23 PM
barking training Montgomery Farr Dog behavior 0 January 8th 04 11:49 PM
barking training Montgomery Farr Dog behavior 0 January 8th 04 11:49 PM