how to let that spot heal ?

Old October 30th 03, 12:58 PM
dwolf

Default how to let that spot heal ?

My Golden has this small spot.. sore, but not oozy on his front leg, about
the size of a nickel. It dries and starts to heal up and then he licks it
raw again. I have some tape to cover it but because it's low on his foot
when we goes out it gets wet and I feel that could be bad for it? I would
need to change it at least twice a day... It may not be a hot spot but I put
this spray on it that I got from the Vet... Betagen, and I also try bitter
apple around it trying not to get it on the exact spot. I don't want to put
the hood on him. So what should I do. I would like to find something to rap
it that could stay some what dry. Today's his birthday...6.. and I promised
myself that when I get mad when I see he has been licking it I won't let him
know I'm mad.. doesn't work anyway, but he knows it makes me mad cause when
he come into my room with his head down I know what he was doing and he was.
The tape I use is a sports sticky rap and I use a piece of old shirt under
it... gets wet.... Thanks ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVERY....

His page.......
http://www.jlfurniture.com/apprentice/apprentice.html

Old October 30th 03, 05:31 PM
Suja

dwolf wrote:
My Golden has this small spot.. sore, but not oozy on his front leg, about
the size of a nickel. It dries and starts to heal up and then he licks it
raw again.

Don't let him do it. If this has been going on for a long time, it
could become a habit.

I have some tape to cover it but because it's low on his foot
when we goes out it gets wet and I feel that could be bad for it?

Whenever my dog has had hot spots (2 in 2 1/2 years) that he hasn't left
alone, what I've done is to wrap it, except for when he's with me and I
can keep an eye on him (he knows what 'Uh-uh, stay here with me' means),
when I leave it open and let it air out a bit. Unless this spot is
something he could injure further when he's walking, I'd keep it open
when he is under supervision, wrapped when he is not, and if he is
outside without supervision, put a plastic bag over the wrap (the
plastic sleeve that the newspaper comes in works great for this) to keep
it from getting wet. Once he's inside, the plastic can come off.

I would
need to change it at least twice a day...

It is generally a good idea to clean and dress the wound twice a day anyway.

I don't want to put
the hood on him.

If nothing else works, you might end up having to put an elizabethan
collar (the cone) on him. A less restrictive collar that you can get
from your vet is called the bitenot collar, and works much the same way
as the e-collar does.

So what should I do. I would like to find something to rap
it that could stay some what dry.

There are some types of waterproof sports tape that you could try. But,
I think that it is in the best interest of the dog to keep the wound
just lightly bandaged, as long as you can keep him from licking it.

The tape I use is a sports sticky rap and I use a piece of old shirt under
it... gets wet.... Thanks ...

I've always used medical dressing for hotspots. Stuff like gauze. And
change it twice daily, as long as the sore is open. It is important to
make sure that whatever comes into contact with the wound is as sterile
as possible.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVERY....

Happy Birthday! Hope that hotspot goes away.

Suja

Old October 31st 03, 01:27 PM
Jokerpit

you have got to be kidding dress wound
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
"Suja" wrote in message
newsZbob.122501$a16.104101@lakeread01...
: