Earthdog Practice

Old July 4th 04, 10:42 PM
Judy

Default Earthdog Practice

We got in some actual earthdog practice this morning! (And since we came
home and DH fixed a patch for a lid on the Master tunnel, we HAVE to go back
tomorrow and play some more.)

And I have to report (Jo - Marg says "hi") that Spenser is Kicking A$$! As
eager as he is to go onto an agility course, those rat tunnels are even
better!

We let Spenser do the Intro tunnel first and he whipped right through it and
displayed a full schnauzer voice! For 60 seconds!

We tried Sassy first with the rat before the first turn. Just getting her
down the tunnel is hard enough. Once we had her doing that, we moved the
rat around the turn and put the cage in the den. What finally worked the
best was when we let Spenser go down the tunnel with her. I think she gets
so excited that she was attacking Spenser as much as she was the rat but it
all builds her excitement.

The amazing thing is that not only can Sassy turn around in the 9x9 tunnel
but even if she goes in first, Spenser can pass her and get to the rat
first! At one point, they were side by side in the tunnel barking at the
rat.

It's still a little stressful for Sassy so I'm glad we only have her entered
in Intro to Quarry at the test in a couple of weeks. I think at some point
it will just click for her and she'll be wonderful at it. But she can be
spooky about different places and different things so she's not behaving
very "sassy" there yet. If this were in our backyard, she'd be at Master
level in no time!

We then put Spenser to work on the Junior tunnel. The second his collar is
off, he's headed for the end of the tunnel. And - yes Jo, he did not
disappoint - we let him bark for over 90 seconds continuously. He seriously
wants that rat! Assuming he doesn't suffer from some sort of "test
anxiety", I think we could actually start building on an earthdog title the
middle of this month!

So we have two VERY tired schnauzers. Who at least held their own with the
Border Terriers today. And little do they know - they get to do it again
tomorrow!
--
~~Judy
Spenser - Carbor Talk of the Town, NA

Earthdog Practice Judy Dog behavior 10 July 5th 04 01:38 PM
Earthdog Practice Judy Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 10:42 PM
Earthdog Practice Judy Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 10:42 PM